Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2010, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Move over iPhone iOS and Android

webOS 2.0 details: Stacks, Just Type, Exhibition, and more! | PreCentral.net

I've always been a big fan of WebOS, sure it doesn't have the mass backing or the hype or the hardware of the others but my god that OS is easily in my books. And that's without mentioning one of the most active and the only embraced community out there, with palm and HP endorsing home brew and patches, and the unendorsed overclocking

/end fanboyism

Read the article, this stuff is all a huge leap from the current edition of WebOS, cannot wait for the next iteration of the hardware and just sad that we still haven't gotten the pre plus up here. In the mean time I'll just be playing angry birds and monopoly in the mean time.
Old August 31, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WebOS is great but it's really sluggish compared to Android and iOS. It really need great hardware to make it snappy. My Palm Pre has to run 1GHz to be snappy enough, even than it feel unresponsive at time and it make the already bad battery life even worse. Also, it really need 512mb of ram at least.
Old August 31, 2010, 07:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

WebOS looks like a really cool OS, but the problem is that it's only available on one phone (which isn't very powerful from what I hear) and you can only get it from one carrier. The great thing about Android is the variety of different devices that use it, and at least the iPhone is widely available and has pretty good hardware inside.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

the only problem with the current pre is that it lacked sufficient ram, the processor is a decent processor, the same as in the iphone 3gs. As for overclocking, I find 800 to be enough, never had it feel unresponsive with that. The plus variant fixed this sadly its not available in Canada. Though with any luck the Pre2 will fix the performance issues, stick a 1ghz snapdragon or better and that thing will fly, that and 512 of ram would be beautiful. But all the background code is becoming drastically more efficient which means even the original pre should vastly improve as well.

To be honest, I have followed android and apart from speed on the unskinned devices, mainly do thanks to the specs, it really has nothing else, hell WebOS got 3D gaming before it, WebOS is getting more iphone apps due to the ease of porting, and google has locked down their os just as much as apple. WebOS is open, wide wide open
Old September 1, 2010, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

webOS is fantastic, but the hardware sucks so damned much. As much fun as 2.0 looks, it will bite big time on both the pixi and the pre like it does now. Thank god I got rid of my Pre.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old September 1, 2010, 02:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
and google has locked down their os just as much as apple.
Hardly. The only thing Android developers don't have is root access (which can be obtained on most phones).
Old September 1, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WebOS ain't open at all, it's proprietary, it's going to be in HP product only. It is very accessible for tweaking through.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

when I say open I mean in the fact that home brewers can do almost anything they want to the OS, they can skin, patch, theme, install non plam authorized apps with palms (and now HP`s) blessings, apple locks down and forbids jailbreaking, google will not allow custom roms ala microsoft. Yes, its only going to be on Palm/HP products but thats not an entirely bad thing.

And I dont think 2.0 will bog the current pre down too much, if anything its going to make it faster, as 90% of the changes in 2.0 announced so far have been backend things making everything much more efficient and faster, unlike apple whos every update makes the os heavier