Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Why Not To Buy Intel? They're Limiting Overclocking

Dunno where to put this as this could be placed under so many sections, so I chose here.

Intel Plans to Limit LGA1155 Sandy Bridge Processor Overclocking - Legit Reviews

Quote:
Intel Plans to Limit LGA1155 Sandy Bridge Processor Overclocking

Information provided by Intel in its own presentations about its upcoming mainstream LGA1155 Sandy Bridge CPUs appears to confirm the company has designed the CPUs to deliberately limit overclocking. A video leaked to HKEPC and posted on YouTube (see from 2mins onwards) confirms the fact that only a 2-3 per cent OC via Base Clock adjustments will be possible. This is because Intel has tied the speed of every bus (USB, SATA, PCI, PCI-E, CPU cores, Uncore, memory etc) to a single internal clock generator issuing the basic 100MHz Base Clock. It looks like this might be the real reason the Intel 'K-series' of processors was introduced. If you want to overclock on the LGA1155 platform be sure to get a Sandy Bridge 'K-Series' processor. We contacted Intel about this story and their offical response is below.
YouTube - ????Intel Sandy Bridge ???Overclock??

Quote:
We aren’t disclosing additional details on Sandy Bridge today, but if you look at our existing Core i5-655K and i7-875K Clarkdale/Lynnfield processors and high end overclocking with our “Extreme” processor line, you can expect that both these overclocking methodologies will be available in the future.
Video is in cantonese. My next CPU won't be from Intel, that's for sure. However if AMD follows suit, that changes everything.
Old July 22, 2010, 03:32 PM
Banned
F@H

if true for retail? stupid..reaaally stupid. unless the unlocked ones are 20 bucks more so they want to add another tax for the enthusiast....
Old July 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is absolutely retarded. I see just a money grab hoping people buy the more expensive processors.

And if AMD follows suit, they might as well jump off a bridge. Intel doing this will give AMD a bit of a bonus.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 22, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A rather quickly translated version of what the dude said. Please forgive my crappy translating :)

Intro of how well Intel stuff overclocks, but **motherboard makers??** overclocking won't that good. Why?

Intel has told some motherboard makers some specs of the next gen sandybridge. The first Sandybridge CPU will be **released/open to the public** in the 2011 CES.

There will be two **classes** of Sandybridge CPU's. (Like Mainstream etc...) Max TDP of 95W and will have Hyperthreading technology.

The guy goes on to about some interesting facts about the Sandybridge (ie: Quad core) and the P67 chipset.

Then talks about dynamic overclocking the GPU/CPU core according to the TDP.

Intel will release unlocked versions of their CPU's.
-Two "types" of unlocked CPU: Partially and Fully unlocked. **Explained in the slide**

Apparently Intel is doing this so that it takes up less PCB space and costs less.

-Plato
Old July 22, 2010, 03:47 PM

We've heard the same thing with the last few Intel platform releases. Let's see how this pans out ;)

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old July 22, 2010, 04:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
A rather quickly translated version of what the dude said. Please forgive my crappy translating :)

Intro of how well Intel stuff overclocks, but **motherboard makers??** overclocking won't that good. Why?

Intel has told some motherboard makers some specs of the next gen sandybridge. The first Sandybridge CPU will be **released/open to the public** in the 2011 CES.

There will be two **classes** of Sandybridge CPU's. (Like Mainstream etc...) Max TDP of 95W and will have Hyperthreading technology.

The guy goes on to about some interesting facts about the Sandybridge (ie: Quad core) and the P67 chipset.

Then talks about dynamic overclocking the GPU/CPU core according to the TDP.

Intel will release unlocked versions of their CPU's.
-Two "types" of unlocked CPU: Partially and Fully unlocked. **Explained in the slide**

Apparently Intel is doing this so that it takes up less PCB space and costs less.
thanks for the translating man.

whats with the pcb space thingie though?
Old July 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Idk, the dude said that without the device/thingie that controls the core clock/fsb (something like that), it could save PCB space. The dude mentioned that the device thingie would be intergrated into the chipset.

-Plato
Old July 22, 2010, 04:24 PM
Banned
F@H

oh,ok. so its a physical implementation, much like a metal chastity belt for women back in the middle ages?
Old July 22, 2010, 04:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
This is absolutely retarded. I see just a money grab hoping people buy the more expensive processors.

And if AMD follows suit, they might as well jump off a bridge. Intel doing this will give AMD a bit of a bonus.
Even if AMD followed suit, at least they don't overcharge for their "Black" edition models. There isn't as large a gap as Intel at least.
Old July 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Idk, the dude said that without the device/thingie that controls the core clock/fsb (something like that), it could save PCB space. The dude mentioned that the device thingie would be intergrated into the chipset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
oh,ok. so its a physical implementation, much like a metal chastity belt for women back in the middle ages?
Of course we'll have to wait and see, but if it's not built into the processor, and instead is something to do with the chipset, more than likely there'll be a way around it.

The other way to look at it would be to wonder if maybe the OC crippled procs would be limited to OEM builders like HP, Dell, Acer, etc....... It would make business sense (in my mind) to sell OC crippled chips in that way to allow lower prices on pre-built PCs so that those sales don't interfere with individual processor sales.... it's already getting to the point where a person shopping around for a mid-range processor might be able to get a better price for components by buying a pre-built and throwing out the motherboard/case.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP