Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
OEM builders already can't overclock their CPUs so this move wouldn't hurt them at all.
OEM builders can do anything to CPU's they want, they simply build systems with cost-down motherboards which means no overclocking features. that is all.
Old August 29, 2010, 08:22 PM
Allstar

Intel has always tried to avoid the overlocking of their chips. This dates all the way back to the 8086. It's nothing new.
Old August 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

It seems like Intel is just trying to stir us all around and get everyone talking about them. Bad press is good press. I really don't know where I stand. I'll run my i7 until it dies. Even if something super amazing comes out, I'll hold off until my main rig dies - I just might need to give it a little push to it's deathbed
Old August 31, 2010, 01:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Intel Sandy Bridge et overclocking : révélations autour d'un bug

A french link, but here is the point:
According to Intel, a bug would be causing the chips to be un-overclockable. They did notice this sometime between the release of the Pentium E6500k and the 655k/875k. Hence the release of the last two.

It is said that the firsts sandy bridge chips won't be overclockable. (the low end ones, on the 1156 chipset if I recall). The first major revision of these chips would bring overclockability, which will also be possible on the upcomming high end chips. So this could be the cause of the release of the "K" chips with an unlocked multi.