Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very true.
Old August 28, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Overclocking is officially dead if you don't have a K series processor.

The Sandy Bridge Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
Old August 28, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya so all they did was what amd has done for how long um um amd Black Edition. yes there normal chips will be more limited then even cpu's now but i think that's the point to push people to buy black oh i mean K series chips
Old August 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Overclocking is officially dead if you don't have a K series processor.

The Sandy Bridge Preview - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
Not quite:
Quote:
Secondly, some regular Sandy Bridge processors will have partially unlocked multipliers. The idea is that you take your highest turbo multiplier, add a few more bins on top of that, and thatíll be your maximum multiplier. It gives some overclocking headroom, but not limitless. Intel is still working out the details for how far you can go with these partially unlocked parts, but Iíve chimed in with my opinion and hopefully weíll see something reasonable come from the company. I am hopeful that these partially unlocked parts will have enough multipliers available to make for decent overclocks.
Old August 28, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

From my knowledge, AMD's normal CPUs can be overclocked to almost as high as overclocks achieved by Black Editions. It's just that it's more difficult and takes more time. From the sounds of the AnandTech article, that doesn't seem like it'll happen with Intel's Sandy Bridge. Maybe I should re-read the article, in case I got things wrong.
Old August 28, 2010, 07:38 PM
Banned
F@H

unles you have a crappy mobo, amd locked cpus do better than you think versus their unlocked brethren :)

intel is testing grounds. bad publicity from a 'few' of us 'whining' is bad no matter the numbers.

ps keep dreaming, youll not reach me feldn in recent memory
Old August 28, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is not a money grab, the over clocking industry is not substantial enough for Intel to benefit financially from higher prices really. I'm more inclined to lean towards what sswilson mentioned about OEM builders.
Old August 28, 2010, 10:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I'm more inclined to lean towards what sswilson mentioned about OEM builders.
No, what he suggested is definitely not correct. The overclocking limitations will be common to all LGA1155 CPUs.
Old August 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
This is not a money grab, the over clocking industry is not substantial enough for Intel to benefit financially from higher prices really. I'm more inclined to lean towards what sswilson mentioned about OEM builders.
OEM builders already can't overclock their CPUs so this move wouldn't hurt them at all.
Old August 29, 2010, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
OEM builders already can't overclock their CPUs so this move wouldn't hurt them at all.
Really? Cause I'm using an ASUS laptop to type this that has a SU7300 chip overclocked to 1.73ghz. And I didnt do it.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about