Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2010, 11:56 AM
Banned
F@H

oh, they will even more once we see 95 watter parts.
Old August 25, 2010, 02:58 AM
Rookie

Intel enters the biggest mistake they could possibly do. No amateur Intel would move again if they do this.Especially AMD says its next generation processors, bulldozers, will be backward compatible with current motherboards and Intel uses a completely new socket.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile News and Reviews

Interesting. If Intel keeps this up, AMD may become more mainstream for the average user based on price alone. Most people who are enthusiasts would rather buy a reasonably priced cpu and overclock the crap out of it than to spend hundreds more for a small increase in performance.
I agree that Intel has a better performing cpu than AMD, but are pricing themselves out of the mainstream market. Case in point, the 6 core cpu price difference.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

guys i don't think this will happen. They said teh same when i7 came out ( remember ) I could see the chips them self's limit OC because of the chips 32NM and electromigration
Old August 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
guys i don't think this will happen. They said teh same when i7 came out ( remember ) I could see the chips them self's limit OC because of the chips 32NM and electromigration
There is actually reason to believe that it will happen with the LGA1155 platform. However, overclocking with LGA2011 systems should still be possible.
Old August 25, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just don't see intel doing this because of all the business that will go to amd. kinda like the new honda with teh exhaust manifold is part of teh head so very little tuning can happen hence why several people i know would not buy one based on this fact. i really hope not but you said reason's what are they please elaborate. info if you have it thanks
Old August 25, 2010, 09:56 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I won't declare 'Intel is dead to enthusiasts', 'Death to Intel', etc etc.

Enthusiasts (aside from fanbois) will move to what ever platform will suit their needs at that time. If Intel is still the best option at that time, we will go Intel. We fret over a C0 vs D0 920, so we will still pay a small premium for a good OC chip (even if we grumble and complain about it).
Fold for team #54196
Old August 25, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

dude if this is true i am jumping ship. because i am about to start getting into extreme overclocking and this kinda negates the point. just doing it cause i want to
Old August 25, 2010, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I won't declare 'Intel is dead to enthusiasts', 'Death to Intel', etc etc.

Enthusiasts (aside from fanbois) will move to what ever platform will suit their needs at that time. If Intel is still the best option at that time, we will go Intel. We fret over a C0 vs D0 920, so we will still pay a small premium for a good OC chip (even if we grumble and complain about it).
This is very true. It wasnt that long ago that everyone (in the way of enthusiasts) was using AMD64 chips.

Times change. Enthusiasts almost always use the best bang/buck components that OC to give them their moneys worth. There is a reason I believe nVidia made the GTX460 so overclockable. It gives an illusion to the enthusiast crowd that you're getting extra (15-20%) performance for no money invested.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I just don't see intel doing this because of all the business that will go to amd.
Let's be real. The overclocking market is tiny, and if Intel does this then they'll probably save more money from the cost reduction of having a unified clock generator than they'll lose from the overclocking market. And for people who really want to overclock, there will still be LGA2011.