Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2010, 04:14 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
lol. but seriously. how many 'scientists' in white lab coats does it take to design a winning design that actually doesn't weigh 2 pounds or more?
Honestly, it's pretty clear that you don't have a clue what it would actually take to accomplish what you're asking for. If it was that easy, don't you think it would have been done already? There are lots of heatsink companies with lots of extremely smart and extremely experienced engineers who spend a lot of time designing these things, but there is a limit to how much can be accomplished with the materials we have and at some point there is no other option but to go bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The Fans (well actually the Air the Fans Move) are what wick the heat away from the Sink. Having a better material will help improve the amount and speed at which it is transfered. If you look at the thermal properties of Metals you will see that Silver is Above Pure copper by a good fraction. The more efficent the material the higher transfer possible. Though we are limited to what the Thermal Transfer in Air is as well, which is why higher speed fans do better, because it becomes a Volume issue at that point too.

Mind you my mind isn't sharp today so I might have something wrong here lol.

I do read a lot on Thermal Properties and Dynamics, but thats in my spare time hahah. So I might be a bit off.

ST
You're pretty much right. Silver is too expensive and copper is too heavy and too weak. Aluminum is the only practical material for constructing better heatsinks. It's unlikely that we'll see a mass-market and relatively inexpensive material with better properties than aluminum any time soon.