Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Zotac GeForce GTX 470 Destroys ATI 5870

Zotac GeForce GTX 470 Video Card Review - Test Results - Legit Reviews

Wtf? Is this possible? I'm going to ask the testing methods that Chris Morrell utilized. He's made lots of good reviews, but this is just weird.

Last edited by geokilla; June 14, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Heads over to Legit Reviews' forums with some popcorn....
Fold for team #54196
Old June 14, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Could it possibly be due to the resolution? That seems to be the only thing jumping out at me. If not, wow...
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 14, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^^ When the 470 / 480's made thier debut the Drivers....well...they sucked, they were in no way taking advantage of the potential of these Cards, of course us nVidia "Fanbouys" know what the potential of these Cards are with decent Drivers and they always mature after these new GPU's make thier debut.
The new Beta 257.15 Driver is a real "Monster".......in Vantage alone most folks experienced increases of up to 4K!!
Gaming.....same thing..big jump in Framerates....!
SLi with either 470 or 480 provides absolutely amazing Scaling....increase performance of 80% to close to double the Framerates in some cases......!

Heat is not such a big deal imo, it has been proven that paying attention to your Case Air Flow and setting up some Fan Profiles rectifies this issue just fine....

This Beta 257.15 is only the first of what will likely be even more Driver improvements in the future.....nVidia still has to get that Tri SLi Scaling to the level the older 260/80/75/85 used to Scale at......

Old June 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I've been waiting for the reviews to trickle in with the new drivers.
Big increases in performance with the latest driver with SLI'd 470's.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old June 14, 2010, 03:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

/Looks at Zotac 470 in case
/looks at 825Mhz core in review
/reaches for Visa to order waterblock

Seriously though. Both DX11 tests are heavy on tesselation, which the Fermi is way better at, and Hawx was an Nvidia optimized game IIRC. I'd like to see some DX10 results.

EDIT: The article says they used 197.75 drivers, not the 257 betas. Hmm.

Last edited by SugarJ; June 14, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old June 14, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
/Looks at Zotac 470 in case
/looks at 825Mhz core in review
/reaches for Visa to order waterblock

Seriously though. Both DX11 tests are heavy on tesselation, which the Fermi is way better at, and Hawx was an Nvidia optimized game IIRC. I'd like to see some DX10 results.
I believe HAWX was actually ATI optimized, as it was bundled with the 4890's my friends bought, and had support for DX10.1, along with some other ATI only settings. Maybe it was just the DX10.1? Meh.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 14, 2010, 03:58 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Lower resolution means higher gains with clock speed increases.
Old June 14, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

He didn't use new drivers according to the test configuration page. Which makes it all the more interesting.
Old June 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just looking at the pictures and associated comments makes me think there's no way this article can be accurate.
The reviewer fails to notice blatantly obvious details and probably did not provide the correct specs for the test configuration.
I have this card and know for a fact that it uses GTX 480 packaging with a few re-labels here and there. Typos on the box, foam too big for the 470, etc.
On the test configuration, the video card used is listed as the XFX GTX 470, the RAM is listed as GSkill while he says he used Corsair.
He doesn't say anything about what software he used to unlock voltage modding or the software he used to overclock. I know for a fact that this card has voltage modding locked by default.
They're small typos and I understand that they happen, but add the fact that he fails to clearly lay out his testing methodology and only shows results for ONE lower resolution and you have a high probability of an inaccurate review.