Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
If a HWC reviewer put up a substandard review, I would expect Sky to take full responsibility of the review if he is the guy who puts the stamp on it.
This is why this pisses me off. The reviewer was hung out to dry. No wonder why he quit...
Old June 16, 2010, 04:38 PM
Banned
F@H

someone got to take the blame

'in communist Russia blame blames you'
Old June 16, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
'in communist Russia blame blames you'
In Soviet Russia*

YouTube - Family Guy - Yakov Smirnoff (Original)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 16, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This is why this pisses me off. The reviewer was hung out to dry. No wonder why he quit...
He was given 2 months to do the review... More than adequate time.

Below is what Apoptosis said for those of you refusing to read the comments. I'm mainly directing this at you SKYMTL as I believe you shouldn't be pissed for something that the reviewer should take responsibility for and not Apoptosis.

Quote:
Chris had the card for more than a month... shouldn't have been a rushed review on his end. He resigned... not sure what else to say.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback trucz, the article has been heavily edited.

This whole situation saddens me and I would like to apologize to everyone.

Zotac won't return any of my e-mails or phone calls from yesterday, so I haven't heard a peep from them and I wanted to talk to them to explain wtf happened before I did heavy edits. oh well, I tried to talk to Zotac the prior to any edits, but no big deal. I contacted Chris (the author) on Monday afternoon telling him there were comments in the forums that he needed to address. By Tuesday morning at 6am he still hadn't responded or backed up his article. I e-mailed, im'd and texted him at ~6am on Tuesday asking him to reply to our readers concerns... He does so and ends up resigning in the process... I ask him yesterday if he wants to edit the article or his thoughts and nothing happens and no comment yet.

I have gone ahead and edited the conclusion and added a disclaimer on the top of the test settings page. I have also removed it from the front page of the website. In all honesty less than 1500 unique visitors have even looked at page one and less than 1000 people have read the conclusion. This article was lightly read, so in the big picture this 'screw up' was a minor one. Some of our launch articles get 300,000 to 400,000 unique reads, so 1500 visitors is nothing.

I'd also like to take some blame for this as well. The review was a 30 day loaner card that Chris requested back in April. The review wasn't done on time and I have been riding Chris to get it done. I wanted it up before I left for Taiwan for Computex and it didn't happen. Chris finished up the review over the weekend and I posted it up Monday after sending it to the editor and shouldn't have. I had a choice to make. Piss off a company that I have never worked with before (Zotac) and not post their review and send them a card back that was a month over the month loaner period or post it and call it good enough. I made a mistake on this one and after publishing 1500 reviews over the past 8 years I think we can all agree that this is not normal for Legit Reviews and has never happened before in the 8 year history of the site. The author of this article has quit and I will be stepping up quality control of the contributors content here on LR.

I'm asking all of our fans and even our haters to cut us some slack on this one incident. It's not normal and I think we can all agree to that.
What Chris says in the two posts that he made. Again, I'm quoting what I think is important from his posts.

Zotac GeForce GTX 470 Video Card Review : Legit Reviews Review Forum

Quote:
I tried to run the Batman Arkham Asylum benchmark but I couldn't get repeatable results from it with FRAPS. The Stalker DX10 benchmark was also all over the place, and the Alien vs Predator DX11 benchmark does a worse job of representing gameplay than 3DMark Vantage. Like I have said before, since the GTX 470 there haven't been any changes in actual performance on the GTX 470. Clearly though you would have been more satisfied if I had effectively reposted the benchmarks that you have seen a dozen times already. I apologize, if I do another GPU review I will conform with the rest of the reviewing world and run the same old benchmarks.
Old June 16, 2010, 05:48 PM
Banned
F@H

someone enlighten me what the 'contacting zotac' is all about

of course they wont return calls, they dont want crap smeared over their name.
Old June 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
someone enlighten me what the 'contacting zotac' is all about

of course they wont return calls, they dont want crap smeared over their name.
I'm not sure what it's about either. If you want me to guess, I'm going to guess it's related to the bad review that Chris did and he probably wanted to let them know that the article was going to be edited and stuff.
Old June 16, 2010, 06:31 PM
Banned
F@H

ok..it just dont make too much sense.
Old June 16, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
He was given 2 months to do the review... More than adequate time.

Below is what Apoptosis said for those of you refusing to read the comments. I'm mainly directing this at you SKYMTL as I believe you shouldn't be pissed for something that the reviewer should take responsibility for and not Apoptosis.

What Chris says in the two posts that he made. Again, I'm quoting what I think is important from his posts.

First let me say I am not defending the reviewer or the review. But when "I" submit a review it is then the EDITORS "job" to go over it and make sure it is up to the same standards as other reviews posted at HWC. IF the editor felt it was a sub-par review it was his responsibility to say so BEFORE posting it and to make it RIGHT. Instead HE rushed it, posted it and then tried to blame the reviewer for not doing his "job". In other words he hung his reviewer out to dry and burned the editor/reviewer trust relationship. The reviewer obviously had a more OC Report in mind when he posted his review to the editor. It obviously wasn't meant to be a normal review. He overclocked the card and showed how much better it got when overclocked, nothing more nothing less. If the editor wanted something else it was and IS his responsibility to tell his reviewer what he wants to make it right before making it live. He did not do that, as far as the reviewer was concerned the review was done and he went on with life just to be stabbed in the back by his editor and thrown to the fanboi wolves. I know I too would have left at that point.

Unless you are a reviewer you cant understand what a HUGE deal this is and what a breach of trust it is. I know that if I was a reviewer over there I would be seriously considering leaving too the editor has shown that he will NOT have your back and will not stick up for you, he will throw you to the wolves at the merest hint of trouble. More importantly he wont even tell you if he thinks the review needs more work before posting it. Good review, bad review. At the end of the day it is the editors responsibility to get it right and it is the reviewers job to make that happen. If the editor doesn't communicate this to the reviewer then how can the reviewer fix it before it goes live and gets out of hand. When reviewing items tunnel vision does set in and you have to trust that the editor will be looking at the bigger picture as that is his JOB. This is a sad day for the industry.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 16, 2010, 07:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
First let me say I am not defending the reviewer or the review. But when "I" submit a review it is then the EDITORS "job" to go over it and make sure it is up to the same standards as other reviews posted at HWC. IF the editor felt it was a sub-par review it was his responsibility to say so BEFORE posting it and to make it RIGHT. Instead HE rushed it, posted it and then tried to blame the reviewer for not doing his "job". In other words he hung his reviewer out to dry and burned the editor/reviewer trust relationship. The reviewer obviously had a more OC Report in mind when he posted his review to the editor. It obviously wasn't meant to be a normal review. He overclocked the card and showed how much better it got when overclocked, nothing more nothing less. If the editor wanted something else it was and IS his responsibility to tell his reviewer what he wants to make it right before making it live. He did not do that, as far as the reviewer was concerned the review was done and he went on with life just to be stabbed in the back by his editor and thrown to the fanboi wolves. I know I too would have left at that point.

Unless you are a reviewer you cant understand what a HUGE deal this is and what a breach of trust it is. I know that if I was a reviewer over there I would be seriously considering leaving too the editor has shown that he will NOT have your back and will not stick up for you, he will throw you to the wolves at the merest hint of trouble. More importantly he wont even tell you if he thinks the review needs more work before posting it. Good review, bad review. At the end of the day it is the editors responsibility to get it right and it is the reviewers job to make that happen. If the editor doesn't communicate this to the reviewer then how can the reviewer fix it before it goes live and gets out of hand. When reviewing items tunnel vision does set in and you have to trust that the editor will be looking at the bigger picture as that is his JOB. This is a sad day for the industry.
It's the reviewer's fault for writing the article late, making it incomplete, and doing a shoddy job of it overall. It's the editor's fault for posting the article anyway despite the obvious problems with it. The responsibility doesn't lie with just one of them, but with both.
Old June 16, 2010, 08:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I'm not sure what it's about either. If you want me to guess, I'm going to guess it's related to the bad review that Chris did and he probably wanted to let them know that the article was going to be edited and stuff.
The editor was trying to get the card back to run some more benches on it from what I understood. basically re-work the article and add graphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It's the reviewer's fault for writing the article late, making it incomplete, and doing a shoddy job of it overall. It's the editor's fault for posting the article anyway despite the obvious problems with it. The responsibility doesn't lie with just one of them, but with both.
I agree that the reviewer put the editor in a hard spot, but at the end of the day the editor approves the article.

The editor could have sent the review back with suggested changes...he had the ultimate power for that article to see the light of day. If the reviewer could not do a better job or refused to change the focus of the article, then LR would only have some explaining to do to Zotac, and not have to deal with a 'mess' like this.
Fold for team #54196