Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2010, 09:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, I think the correct thing to do would have been to not post an incomplete review, or to call it an GTX470 overclocking potential article. The lack of effort certainly showed, both on the reviewer's and editor's part. Instead, he hung his reviewer out to dry in the forums, causing the reviewer to quit.
Old June 16, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Actually, I think the correct thing to do would have been to not post an incomplete review, or to call it an GTX470 overclocking potential article. The lack of effort certainly showed, both on the reviewer's and editor's part. Instead, he hung his reviewer out to dry in the forums, causing the reviewer to quit.
Yea he apologized for letting that review go up if you clicked the link.
Old June 16, 2010, 12:59 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm spitting mad.

Not only is this a sad day for reviewing in general but it gives editors everywhere a black eye. From my reading of the review, it was spot on even though it only tested a few apps.

Let me make this official:

If anyone tells us to take down a review and actually expects us to do it, you can get bent. Hell will also freeze over the day I edit a review, post it live and then edit the conlcusion to cover up what was originally posted. It's called integrity and I intend to keep it with this site while not giving in to foaming-at-the-mouth armchair commenters who have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

This whole situation pisses me off to no end.
Old June 16, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um SKYMTL, did you actually read the comments thread and the review before posting what you posted? If you posted such a poor review, I think you would do something about it too. No I'm not saying you post poor reviews, but just IF something like that did happen.

I don't see where Apoptosis' edits are in the review. So far, I've found only one edit...
Old June 16, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well,
SKYMTL, you personally identified the need to improve on the testing (and you do very well).
HWC's methodology is BEYOND reproach. The reviewer could've gained from following your steps...
Your article, GPU Benchmarking Methods Investigated: Fact vs. Fiction, is great.

Since Fermi is out, the flame war between ATI and nVidia is going really strong. It indeed seems like the Admin/MOD/editor of Legit Reviews caved-in and left his reviewer in the cold...in exile. The guy is probably in bad shape.

The funny thing is: Whether the GTX470 beats, equals or is a little behind of the HD5870 (in some benchies) is kinda "almost" irrelevant, as the 'ol Steam survey tells the fanbois the truth.

The truth is: Either the GTX4** or the HD58** series cards are high-end cards and a small percentage of gamers are actually owning one of these...the highest % goes to HD48** and GeForce 88** series.
So if you own a high-end card, even last year's flagships, you're golden. And if you own a high-end Crossfire/SLI rig ,you're REALLY golden/lucky...MORE GAMING and less fighting plz!!!!

Benchmarks of any kinds are useful to make a purchase decision. But when it becomes a bragging rights thing, or a p1ss-off contest, a buyer's remorse turned bad or flame war...some are acting like spoiled pplz...

My rule of thumb...when you're done the inital benchmarks of your new system, try to enjoy your computer MORE, game MORE, use it MORE, but keep your eyes off the reviews for a few months (or at least the ETAILERS' weekly sales)...cause new cards/CPUs will come out (as always), price will drop and a few pplz will get ugly/regretful...
It's impossible to stay the KING of the hill...

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; June 16, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old June 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Delavan, did you read the comments? The reviewer (Chris Morrell) posted in the comments thread and he basically stands by what he did, using no time as an excuse. In the end, he quit his job as a reviewer. He ran away from the problem that he created, leaving the admin (Apoptosis) clean up the work and everything.

And half your post doesn't really have anything to do with this thread in my opinion.
Old June 16, 2010, 02:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The review numbers were probably right based on what he saw, but if the reviewer thought it was rushed, and the editor thought it was rushed, then it should not have been posted by the editor. The review was lazy (not dishonest), but should have been posted as a small overclocking article. The reviewer admitted to doing a lazy review because he was moving (according to the PM apoptsis posted in the thread).

The editor is the main problem here. He was the guy who approved the review, and he then tells the community in the forums that he was on the reviewer's ass to get the review done. He grudgingly takes responsibility, then goes on to say how much trouble this reviewer was causing him on this review. Then he takes it off the front page, and says he will edit it. Weak.

If a HWC reviewer put up a substandard review, I would expect Sky to take full responsibility of the review if he is the guy who puts the stamp on it.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 16, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
And half your post doesn't really have anything to do with this thread in my opinion.
Geokilla, I seen you posted in that thread on he LR forum. I read thru. Good thing the guy stood by his work.

Pretty sad you couldn't grasp what was behind my words...

I'm saying that obviously, ATI HD58** owners "stoned" a reviewer because they didn't like the outcome, making their own cards look bad. And the whole situation revolves around that.

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old June 16, 2010, 03:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Geokilla, I seen you posted in that thread on he LR forum. I read thru. Good thing the guy stood by his work.

Pretty sad you couldn't grasp what was behind my words...

I'm saying that obviously, ATI HD58** owners "stoned" a reviewer because they didn't like the outcome, making their own cards look bad. And the whole situation revolves around that.
Sorry, but I don't see it that way. What I saw was a review which appeared to show results which were contrary to every other posted review to date, and people questioning those results.

It could very well be that the results he posted were valid, but, as a reviewer, if your results are different from everybody else's, you'd better be able to explain why. That didn't happen in this case and thus it ended up looking like an attempt to skew the #s.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 16, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

I agree with your points. I stand corrected.
I still think that most of the waves came from the ATI side tho.
Yes the reviewer has a though job. This one made a few mistakes, that's why I stick with HWC!

Last edited by Delavan; June 16, 2010 at 04:19 PM.