Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Fanboyism and brand loyalty..interesting read!

Hi all.

We all know about fanboyism, as it's taking place on every reviewers forums known to mankind...

It could be arguing to death about whether Mustang is faster/better and Camaro or whatever...

This article is fun to read, and if some fanboys could take a deep breath, read thru and analyse their "posting habits", that could be very interesting...

Fanboyism and Brand Loyalty

Quote from the article:
Quote:
The truth is that you prefer the things you own because you rationalize your past choices to protect your sense of self.
So basically, if you feel like you "impulse bought" something or just didn't buy something that is the best, or if you couldn't afford the part you'd like, you start to make yourself believe you made the right choice, and argue to death with others on the forums, as a way to re-enforce your belief in yourself making the right choice...

Other quote:

Quote:
Add this sort of loyalty to something expensive, or a hobby which demands a large investment of time and money, and you get a fanboy. They defend their favorite stuff and ridicule the competition, ignoring facts if they contradict their emotional connection.
LOL

Another one:

Quote:
Once a person is branded, they will defend their brand by finding flaws in the alternative choice and pointing out benefits in their own.
Radeon VS GeForce (heat, Physx, folding, image quality, wattage drawn, Tesselation, cuda)
Corsair Vs the world
Intel Vs AMD (Price mostly or synthetic benchies)

Have fun!!!

Last edited by Delavan; June 6, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old June 6, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What I do not understand is why people do not accept the fact they are a fanboy and that fanboyism is rampant. I am a full on ATI fanboy. Even though all my current GPU's are Nvidia, I still would buy an inferior ATI product for more money than a faster Nvidia product. To me, I just like ATI as a company over the evil Green team. I'm not so bad that I cannot own something Green, but it just doesn't feel right.

My thought for the world is stop making fanboys feel so bad and let us embrace what we will. 99.99999999999% of us are fanboys of nearly every part of their PC so stop pretending and start defending.
Old June 6, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty good article. I wish the fanboys who read that would realize how annoying and dumb they look, but I doubt it's going to happen.
I believe myself to be pretty damn far away from a fanboy. On an extreme, someone could label me as one since I'll always buy a Gigabyte motherboard before anything else because of my good experiences with them, but I tend to tell people to get what works for me, and I'm sure most people are the same. I have no issue with that, but when people start going crazy about which brand is better and start spewing mounds of bullshit from their mouth, then I start to get a bit annoyed. Person A likes a brand because of their warranty, person B likes a brand better for their performance. No need to start shitting down each other's throats because you feel your positive feelings towards the company are more important theirs.

/endrant
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 6, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

LOL!

KK, according to the article (don't get me wrong, I'm NO shrink!)

Quote:
Branding builds on this by giving you the option to create the person you think you are through choosing to align yourself with the mystique of certain products
So you could be a sort of "resistance-type", fighting the oppression of the EVIL nVIDIA...

Have a good day.
I'm a nVIDIA fanboy that got scared of FERMI's thermal envelope...so I jumped ship..next time I might buy...WHO KNOWS!!!!

Last edited by Delavan; June 6, 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old June 6, 2010, 04:45 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yep I posted this in another thread where the usual Apple vs. PC folks are duking it out again. Good article!
Fold for team #54196
Old June 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
What I do not understand is why people do not accept the fact they are a fanboy and that fanboyism is rampant.
That's the worst. The people spewing blatant fanboyism and then they turn around and act like they're not defending that brand with their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
I'm a nVIDIA fanboy that got scared of FERMI's thermal envelope...so I jumped ship..next time I might buy...WHO KNOWS!!!!
And that's around the same kind of mindset I have. Give me what suits my needs and I'll buy it from you. I don't care if it's Team Red or Team Green, AMD or Intel. If it works better to suit my needs, give me it.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old June 6, 2010, 05:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Hey, that's me! Corsair, Intel and Nvidia all the way (except maybe this Fermi generation)
Old June 6, 2010, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
...Corsair...
Wat *points at Patriot memory in your rig*
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old June 6, 2010, 05:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Wat *points at Patriot memory in your rig*
ummmm

weeeelll it was cheaper than corsair at the time...? but I always stick with corsair branded PSU's though, doesn't matter who the oem is. I wouldn't use their ssd's unless they have a really good price on it. I'm not a corsair memoyr fanboy, just a corsair PSU fanboy :)
Old June 6, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Hey, that's me! Corsair, Intel and Nvidia all the way (except maybe this Fermi generation)
All great choices we all know that. Traditionally, your choices have been showing great performance and reliability.

But, EVERY manufacturer might make a mistake, a bad batch, a wrong move. When some people make abstraction of that, it's bad and causes endless threads...

When the hockey game is over, both teams shake everybody's hands....