Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2010, 05:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I see nothing wrong with brand loyalty. I also see nothing wrong with people being fanboys as long as they listen to some logic.

What I DO have an issue with is the hilarious lengths people will go to in order to prove they AREN'T what we would call fanboys.
Old June 7, 2010, 07:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

IMO, nothing wrong with being a fanboi (or having a brand preference) so long as you aren't rabid about it, and accept that (this is key) other folks are going to have different opinions / preferences.

As SKYMTL pointed out, it's the folks who have blinders on WRT facts who give brand preference a bad name. I'd also suggest it's the folks who can do nothing but trash the competition who drag the discussion down.

Personally..... I freely admit that I'm anti-Apple, but stress that it comes from their treatment of Apple II owners (I've got a long corporate memory... ;) ), and don't shy away from commenting on the "good" things attached to owning apple hardware along with the bad. Being able to display a relatively unbiased pro/con ledger (and being willing to do it in public) in most cases moves a poster from the fanboi designation to somebody with brand loyalty.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 7, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Absolutely nothing wrong with "preferred Brands"......hell..once I find something I like / trust, with any product I purchase, I generally stick to it if I'm happy with it. I can honestly say I'm an Evga (Preferred Product Customer)...call it Fan Boy or whatever you want......I think at 45 yrs old the word "Fan Boy" is no longer irrelevant......

IPan4evr......I don't think 3oh6 is the only "Enthusiast" on the planet that is "entitled" to purchase Doms.....sure GSkill maybe great, actually I've got Mushkin Redlines in my other System.....there are many great Brands of RAM out their, we're all entitled to try what we want....sure, for a "Budget" build perhaps Doms aren't the way to go.....but for some of us (other than 3oh6)....our Hobby and the word "Budget" don't necessarily go hand in hand ;)
As far as Apple goes...I think they're the pioneer in the Computer World...their OS is by far the sleekest around bar none..lets face it....ever since that battle began PC vs Mac....PC's ultimate goal has been to emulate a MAC....I would surely buy a Mac again (was my first Comp back in the early 90's) but I cannot rip it apart and upgrade so easily...build from scratch etc.....are they over-priced??? Absolutely......but its a Mac...its expected

Old June 7, 2010, 07:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Corsair's memory (Dominators to be exact) on the other hand, while obviously good, is nowehere near worth it for anyone except the likes of 3oh6. G.Skill ftw.
One of the most interesting aspects of this comment is proving that brand loyalty doesn't mean much. Yes, Corsair's Dominator GTXs are the best of the best but we can't forget that some of Jody's best overclocking feats came while running some decidedly well-priced G.Skill memory.

Honestly though, when it comes to overclocking it all comes down to a game of chance.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:06 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

What happens when a fan boy really is a fan girl?

In the end, a good company will do all they can to avoid angering their fans with poor customer service or products that don't maintain the legacy of past products.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Everyone knows the Coolermaster fanbois are the most rabid ;p

I really liked the article and I think that the fanboyism we see is a product of our consumer-based society. It is truly sad when people get caught up in one brand or another, to the extent that they cannot see the true value in other brands.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 7, 2010, 09:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There is a very simple checklist for me;

1) Does it Work
2) Is the Price in my Budget
3) Is their CSR good
4) Does it do what I want it to Do

If all these criteria are met, I'm happy. If that means I purchase from the same company because they keep delivering good product, I don't see it as fanboi'ism. Thats just a word drudged up to take stabs at one and other on forums.

My thoughts,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 7, 2010, 11:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have preferences but I usually don't care what other people think or go 100% into something. Like I prefer PC gaming, yet I still have all the consoles and handhelds. I am a Metal Gear fanboy though, but it doesn't mean I don't love other games.

What makes me mad is when someone is so loud about their own personal tastes and just laugh off any other opinions. Especially when they won't give any clear reasons why they think that way. "You like PS3? Hahahahaha. That's hilarious." Boils my blood.
Old June 7, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ WHAT......?.....you "game" on a PS3 ...?...... ;)

Old June 7, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not a true fanboy evga of any one company evga as long as the product works as advertised evga and priced fairly evga and has excellent warranty evga and customer service evga then I'm willing to buy any brand of motherboard or GPU evga...lol