LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
ummmm

weeeelll it was cheaper than corsair at the time...? but I always stick with corsair branded PSU's though, doesn't matter who the oem is. I wouldn't use their ssd's unless they have a really good price on it. I'm not a corsair memoyr fanboy, just a corsair PSU fanboy :)
Heh, just poking fun. I'm the same, my TX650 was a tank of a PSU I disliked parting with. I would have gotten an HX850 instead of my Antec Quattro 850W, but they weren't around at the time, and I really can't stand a non modular PSU. I guess I'm a modular PSU fanboy?
Corsair's memory (Dominators to be exact) on the other hand, while obviously good, is nowehere near worth it for anyone except the likes of 3oh6. G.Skill ftw.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 6, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yea, I really dig my GSKILL DDR2-1000 set...that I paid $50 for last year...
Now, for my next system upgrade, I MIGHT consider an AMD CPU (1055 or 1090T)...my last AMD was an Athlon64 3400+...but who knows what's gonna be out there next year.

More on topic!

Ten golden rules of videogame fanboyism - Destructoid

Quote:

Quote:
Although it may sound ridiculous to normal people, swearing undying allegiance to a heartless box of electrical components is a perfectly rational act in the mind of the fanboy, even though if he defended something like a particular brand of cheese with such rabid determination, he'd be rightly locked up in a mental hospital.
Old June 6, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That quote is amazing, and so true.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 6, 2010, 06:28 PM
Banned
F@H

curiously...atpm i prefer nv because of folding, ati for everything else..does it make me an nv or ati fan lol?
Old June 6, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You don't claim to be a fanboi, you get told.
Old June 6, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Reviews and Articles

I can't say whether I'm a fanboy or not. For me, it's the best bang for the buck. I generally decide on a price range for any item that i wish to purchase. Look at the products, compare, talk to people, check out warranty
and reputation, then I am making what I believe to be an informed choice based on my preferences. Some times the look will draw me, but in the end, it's what's best suited for me.

That isn't to sayIi won't go overboard sometimes and this is where the need to justify comes in. hehe
Old June 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've had ATI and Nvidia
Intel and AMD
Seagate and WD
Microsoft and Linux
the list goes on...

I usually just go with what's best for me, and won't care what most are going with. I just do my research, and buy what I find best.

I hate Apple right now, but that's just because of the recent douchebaggery they've created. I was fine with them ever before then. If they were to change their ways I'd like them again though, so I'm not sure if that's fanboyism (anti-brand loyalty).

Anyways, the other articles on that website are interesting
You Are Not So Smart
Old June 6, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use and buy what works.

I buy Gigabyte and Asus motherboards because they work and I've never had to RMA even one of them out of the hundreds I've used.
I will use either Nvidia or ATI based on performance per pricepoint.
I use Intel and AMD interchangeably.

I won't buy an iphone / ipad / Harley because of it's cult. I will use a "generic" PC of my own making rather than buy my self worth and image from a company like Apple. I'm not going to be another pointless clone
Old June 7, 2010, 03:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think that of all hardware discussions, only GFX cards and CPUs are creating fanboi "emotional" threads/fights.

Quote:
I won't buy an iphone / ipad / Harley because of it's cult.
True. Also, to add to your list...Volkswagen Beetle (big a$$ flowers on the dashboard lolz) and Jeep (the owners wave at each other!?) Apparently it HAS to be a CJ or a TJ to get waved at...if you own a Jeep Liberty, you're NOT owning a "real JEEP", then you don't have the recognition from other Jeep owners...pretty funny. Sounds like a cult to me!

I used to be really loyal to MUSHKIN for their RAM. MushkinGreg, especially on NCIX forums, was always around to give you ALL settings to tweak your RAM...great support that was. Mushkin is not the same anymore, it seems like they lost a lot of sales because of that. NCIX almost stopped stocking that brand for a bit...

Other manufacturers that are making themselves seen on enthusiasts forums tend to gain a lot of trust in their products from doing so...it makes a lot of sense.... Corsair (Yellowbeard comes to mind) is one of them.

I'm loyal to ASUS/gigabyte for mobos...that's a given. Won't start a fight for that tho...you buy what makes you feel better and overclocks best.

For CPUs, I look at something like PASSMARK for their OC database...I buy what's overclocking best while benching higher for the price...Intel had the upper hand still...(i5 750/i7 920)

PSUs, thanks to knowledgeable reviewers, tend to be analysed quite a bit: build construction, component choice (nippon chemi-con branded capacitors come to mind), and reliability record and output current quality. As the PSU is a REALLY important component, people tend to fanboi a little, but not to the point of fighting...BUT Seasonic-built units are getting a lot of attention.

So the Graphics cards is the single most "fanboy'ed" item in the computer world...nothing new there...

Why?
I'd say, because they cost a lot of money, especially the top tier ones, and every time the 6 month cycle restarts (new cards are coming out) then the fight starts. Then, you find yourself with a card that was top of the line, now average at best...makes you feel like an old dog or a poor bastard

Now I think about going Crossfire 5870's....never ends...probably doesn't make sense money-wise. I like to go "overkill" for some reasons. Gain a few extra 3Dmarks...

All my "fun money" goes into my computer...

Last edited by Delavan; June 7, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The only part of my PC I have ever bought using someone's advice was a power supply. Even then I was not happy since I didn't get the one I wanted and the one I bought did fall short of my expectations and needs. I don't care what other people, including reviewers, say about a product. If I want it, I get it. Period.

I do not flop back and forth between Intel/AMD, ATI/Nvidia and so on because of value. I pick whichever is in my heart at the time and go with it. I'd build an AMD PC in a second if I didn't have so much free Intel stuff around. As for graphics cards, I would only buy an ATI card new. I'll buy used Nvidia cards and play with them for a bit, but that is my main fanboyism downfall. Power supplies, for me it is one of the big three, Seasonic, Corsair or Silverstone. Again, I will buy cheaper brands in a pinch, but if I'm gonna spend any real coin.....

Apple is a cult. People irrationally pay a huge Apple tax to buy a PC with OSX on it. The hardware is the same between most Apples and PCs. I won't own an iPhone or any other iGadget since I can find a comparable and far less proprietary device for alot less money. To me, Apple is a cult. Those Apple VS PC TV commercials scream desperation to me seeing how 90% of what they claim is false. Oh well, time to let this one go.

Anyone that claims to have no brand loyalties is only fooling themselves because I guarantee that if you really look into your purchase patterns, you'll see it skewed to one or the other. That's just human nature. To me, most of the fanboy arguments on the WWW are just trolls looking for a little love.....