Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hey! It was cold outside that day! :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 2, 2010, 04:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Hey! It was cold outside that day! :)~
Haha you always say that.

Seriously, the Asus, MSI, etc. sales will be hard to compare to iPads 1 year from now. There will be so much variety in the market with the tablets that we will be arguing about who sold more of what. The iPad is trendy, and the other devices will not compete in that manner. No one model or even manufacturer will outsell the iPads by next year.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 2, 2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
My question is....when did 12inches become "tiny"? I USE a tablet PC (actually a real tablet laptop that is both a tablet and a laptop all in one). It has a 12inch screen...and I play games, watch movies...hell even do some of my reviews on it! Trust me it aint small. Will a true tablet only be perfect for all occasions? Doubt it. Nothing is this world is perfect for all occasions....BUT with an actual USB port on it you can plug in anything you need to make it "better" without needing a adapter. ;)

TBH the Apple and Asus/MSI/etc designs are for different markets....just like ALL Apples and ALL PCs are for different markets.

Agreed. I have a HP Touchsmart TX2 1224ca that has a 12.1 screen. It is NOT tiny at all. It is actually the PERFECT size for my reviews and stuff as well.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
it doesn't matter how good the specs are if it doesn't have the software.
It runs WINDOWS. There, see it now? How can you possibly say that it won't have a lot of software available for it when it's running the most ubiquitous consumer OS on the planet?
Old June 2, 2010, 06:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It runs WINDOWS. T
Yes and thats the problem,Windows was made to be used with a mouse and keyboard or even worst a stylus but Microsoft just released Embedded Windows 7, not sure what thats all about...maybe its would be better suited.

AKG we've had these same kind of tablets at work for years and everyone refuses to take them. When we go in the field they get left in office because people don't want to pack laptops. We spend all day getting in and out of a truck,a clipboard sized device is all we need.
We started using vnc with our phones and use the desktop/tablet when we get back in the office.

I can't wait to see what HP does with Web OS.

Old June 2, 2010, 07:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
Yes and thats the problem,Windows was made to be used with a mouse and keyboard or even worst a stylus but Microsoft just released Embedded Windows 7, not sure what thats all about...maybe its would be better suited.
That is actually incorrect. If you have ever used any of the HP Touchsmart Vista/Win 7 PCs (desktop with the touch screen monitor) it has no issues recognizing finger touches and has no need for mouse, keyboard or stylus.
Old June 2, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
That is actually incorrect. If you have ever used any of the HP Touchsmart Vista/Win 7 PCs (desktop with the touch screen monitor) it has no issues recognizing finger touches and has no need for mouse, keyboard or stylus.
Exactly. Hell damn near anything works, no need for additional accessories. Touch screens rock for some things and that is one of them. :)
But like I said, its not a perfect fit for all situations. IMHO this is what separates PC users and Mac users...as mac's will claim it fits ALL situations and die trying to make it reality while a PC user will pick the best tool for the job and get on with actually getting work done :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 2, 2010, 07:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
Here is a quick little video which demonstrates the native touch screen capabilities of Windows 7:
Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
Fold for team #54196
Old June 2, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Here is a quick little video which demonstrates the native touch screen capabilities of Windows 7:
Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
Ya I was gonna say with Windows 7 they developed it with touch screen in mind so Windows natively supports touch screen no problem. They could also put some customized version of Windows on there to make the UI better for the tablet for all I know

-edit: found a vid so we can get a better idea of what it looks like IRL and how tiny it does NOT look at 12". Looks like they'll also have a docking stand which will include a keyboard.
YouTube - ASUS Eee Pad EP121 Tablet Hands On at Computex 2010

Last edited by headsh0t; June 2, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The tablet in that video looks nice...I'd like to see it running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
If HP thought it was so great they wouldn't have canceled the slate after buying Palm.