Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2010, 06:39 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
So tell me why this is going to be so much better. It is going to be slow, hard to use, less battery life, run hotter, crash more, not that much software made for it.
It's faster, has more features, has better specs, and can do much more than an iPad can. Therefore, it is better. And not that much software made for it? The bloody thing is running Windows! That's like saying your PC doesn't have much software made for it.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2010, 07:11 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Well I like this tablet but I have issues with it. First is it is running a full version of windows. That alone is a huge minus. I have said it and will say it again. Windows is not good for a small screen. Ya you can do more but it will be way slower and more clunky.

Second is it is running a C2D. That means it will have to have a fan or be running at extremely low clocks or this will be 100f and be too hot to hold in your hands.

Third battery. Ya they claim 10 hours of battery life I call bull funky unless you want to stare at your home screen for 10 hours. This will more than likely have less than 5 hours doing normal stuff. The iPad I could watch movies on it for 7-8 hours no problem(probably more if I turned down the brightness and all wireless signals).

Fourth is IT IS RUNNING WINDOWS! Seriously its like wanting to run windows 7 on your phone. Windows 7 isn't that great for touch and most of your apps aren't either. So you are going to have a slow and painful experience and can't do a whole lot unless you hook up a mouse and depending on how good their touch screen is a keyboard too. So you might as well get a laptop.

Fifth is gaming. Have fun running games on this. There aren't that many games for windows optimized for a touch screen/small screen/not that power hungry to run. Meanwhile on the iPad I can get games that are specifically made for it and some of them look pretty decent with better graphics than the Wii.

So tell me why this is going to be so much better. It is going to be slow, hard to use, less battery life, run hotter, crash more, not that much software made for it.

I will say that it looks like it will be better hardware wise as far as connectors. You can have a card reader, usb, and composite AV cable for the iPad just not built in. So maybe this will make Apple add more connectivity to the iPad in V2.0.

Bottom line is this wont sell over a million.
Disgruntled over "Apple Tax" and knowing their is actually going to be a product out thier that's half the cost and does twice as much.......really Belgolas..if Portable Gaming is that important ...I'll take my Notebook in my Sig any ole day...with 110v of course...at least I can actually Game and not "pass time" by amusing myself......

I think Apple left themselves wide open for Competitors to "trump em" in a big way....great product (IPad)....but its obvious there will be far better choices, you just need a little patience... ;)
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2010, 07:59 PM
Digikid's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,731
Default

Hmm....the Asus one looks to be the better model.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2010, 09:25 PM
r0bc's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: AB
Posts: 688

My System Specs

Default

I'm willing to bet more Ipads have sold in the last couple months the Windows tablets in the last 10 years. People didn't buy them cause they were garbage. These company's can definitely make a ipad killer but its not going to be running Windows 7,not a chance.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old June 2, 2010, 09:16 AM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas Ontario close to london
Posts: 3,925

My System Specs

Default

sigh... I guess we will see who is right 1 year from now. These wont sell that much IMO.

The reason why I say it is slower because it is running windows 7 and not a smart phone OS. Yes it has better specs (well we don't know about the screen) but it doesn't matter how good the specs are if it doesn't have the software.

I see that Asus is now getting an app store so if developers start working there then I can see this to start being better.

Just because it is running windows 7 doesn't mean that every app will work on it. And who wants to do video editing on a tablet anyways?

And rjbarker it is not half the cost it is the same cost.

Portable gaming is not that important to me but another member brought it up and I guarantee there will be better gaming on the iPad than this tablet.

Yes this is a good tablet but I just don't think it will sell because people don't want to run windows on a tiny touch screen. The iPad's UI I think will be better and faster from going to app to app. Sure this tablet is going to have multitasking better but you can't expect to be running multiple apps effectively on such a small screen. Plus if you jailbreak your iPad like I did you can get a lot of stuff that Apple should have included like multitasking.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old June 2, 2010, 09:26 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,055

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Leave it to ASUS to design a product that is superior in every way and yet costs the same as an iPad.
+1 to that.

Also I'm pretty sure I won't be forced to buy things from them, not to mention the I would actually be able to browse the internet with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Plus if you jailbreak your iPad like I did you can get a lot of stuff that Apple should have included like multitasking.
I hate it when people use that argument. The fact is you should not have to "hack" your device to get proper usage out of it.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old June 2, 2010, 09:33 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,584

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I hate it when people use that argument. The fact is you should not have to "hack" your device to get proper usage out of it.
Indeed, is jailbreaking technically not against the ToS? I'm fairly certain any hacking of a device, os or hardware is typically against the terms of service
iPhone 3G S jailbreaking prohibited by Apple terms of service | The Iphone Blog . That would be the same thing as saying an overclocked cpu a is better then stock cpu a.

Apple says jailbreaking is illegal

Last edited by Arinoth; June 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old June 2, 2010, 09:51 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is online now
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,319
Default

My question is....when did 12inches become "tiny"? I USE a tablet PC (actually a real tablet laptop that is both a tablet and a laptop all in one). It has a 12inch screen...and I play games, watch movies...hell even do some of my reviews on it! Trust me it aint small. Will a true tablet only be perfect for all occasions? Doubt it. Nothing is this world is perfect for all occasions....BUT with an actual USB port on it you can plug in anything you need to make it "better" without needing a adapter. ;)

TBH the Apple and Asus/MSI/etc designs are for different markets....just like ALL Apples and ALL PCs are for different markets.
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old June 2, 2010, 12:40 PM
Eldonko's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,445
Default

Personally Im sticking with my EEE netbook. I only use it when traveling, I have a Milestone smartphone that can do anything I want to do and at home a have several PCs and a laptop. I see no use of a giant phone myself. Call me old fashioned but I still like to read books out of well.. books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
TBH the Apple and Asus/MSI/etc designs are for different markets....just like ALL Apples and ALL PCs are for different markets.
Agreed. Im just amused that apple fans think ipad is so great when in reality they only buy it because it is trendy. Deny it all you want but for 90% of you it's true. It's like macbooks, people buy them so they can sit in starbucks and feel cool while they could have bought a better laptop for half the price. Ask your Mac friends why they bought Mac and they will rattle off the stuff from the commercials and end with Mac is the best. Whatever, people can spend their $ the way they like I guess.

JMO
__________________
Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes or shark attacks.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old June 2, 2010, 01:04 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,039

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
My question is....when did 12inches become "tiny"?
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

LOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOLS!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple "attacks" developer after he bad-mouthed apple Polygon Mac 89 June 9, 2010 09:23 PM
Apple Announces iPad Tablet FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 133 February 8, 2010 05:17 PM
Apple Ipad Killer The U1 Hybrid iPad from Lenovo Death_Adder Press Releases & Tech News 6 February 5, 2010 05:25 AM
which M.B is better::Asus m4a-79-t Deluxe OR MSI 790FX-GD70 kabal CPU's and Motherboards 11 June 10, 2009 08:53 AM
Report: ASUS Looks to Tame Rivals With Atom-based Eee PC 901 Hardware Canucks Press Releases & Tech News 0 May 15, 2008 09:45 AM