Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2010, 03:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

MSI said they will be doing one with windows (i believe modified) and one with google os so you'll have that option
Old June 1, 2010, 04:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

There is suppose to be a few Android tablets released and rumors of a Web OS tablet.

Old June 1, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I like this tablet but I have issues with it. First is it is running a full version of windows. That alone is a huge minus. I have said it and will say it again. Windows is not good for a small screen. Ya you can do more but it will be way slower and more clunky.

Second is it is running a C2D. That means it will have to have a fan or be running at extremely low clocks or this will be 100f and be too hot to hold in your hands.

Third battery. Ya they claim 10 hours of battery life I call bull funky unless you want to stare at your home screen for 10 hours. This will more than likely have less than 5 hours doing normal stuff. The iPad I could watch movies on it for 7-8 hours no problem(probably more if I turned down the brightness and all wireless signals).

Fourth is IT IS RUNNING WINDOWS! Seriously its like wanting to run windows 7 on your phone. Windows 7 isn't that great for touch and most of your apps aren't either. So you are going to have a slow and painful experience and can't do a whole lot unless you hook up a mouse and depending on how good their touch screen is a keyboard too. So you might as well get a laptop.

Fifth is gaming. Have fun running games on this. There aren't that many games for windows optimized for a touch screen/small screen/not that power hungry to run. Meanwhile on the iPad I can get games that are specifically made for it and some of them look pretty decent with better graphics than the Wii.

So tell me why this is going to be so much better. It is going to be slow, hard to use, less battery life, run hotter, crash more, not that much software made for it.

I will say that it looks like it will be better hardware wise as far as connectors. You can have a card reader, usb, and composite AV cable for the iPad just not built in. So maybe this will make Apple add more connectivity to the iPad in V2.0.

Bottom line is this wont sell over a million.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 1, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

100% speculation and spoken like a guy that started a thread called "got the ipad".
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
So tell me why this is going to be so much better. It is going to be slow, hard to use, less battery life, run hotter, crash more, not that much software made for it.
Old June 1, 2010, 06:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So you're poking out the asus one, did you continue to read the msi one? One version isn't going to run windows and its being powered by an atom processor, which can be passively cooled, which are more powerful then the arm processors the iPads have in them
Old June 1, 2010, 06:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Could you load Android on any of these devices? What will be the likelihood of folks creating roms/images?
Fold for team #54196
Old June 1, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh this looks promising
Old June 1, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
100% speculation and spoken like a guy that started a thread called "got the ipad".
BAHAHA. Ya and if you don't like windows, why not just install your personal OS of choice? As for heat, I'm alright with that as long as it's not too hot, since it IS a core2duo that you'll be using compared to a 1Ghz proc in the maxiPad. In regards to games, i hear that a bunch of the games are just iPhone clones and the iPhone has been around for how many years so devs have had all that time to develop games for the system so ya obviously there will be a bunch. Apparently if you've bought the game on your iPhone as well, you have to redownload the game that you already own and in some cases it's even more expensive on the iPad (IE: Angry Birds HD). On this tablet THAT HAS FLASH ENABLED, you can actually go to gaming sites and play FREE flash games. You also have the ability to install your own games that you already own. Sure the touch functionality might not be as great for games since they weren't designed specifically for touch screen use but I'm sure some games will be playable. Starcraft touch anyone?
Old June 1, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
BAHAHA. Ya and if you don't like windows, why not just install your personal OS of choice? As for heat, I'm alright with that as long as it's not too hot, since it IS a core2duo that you'll be using compared to a 1Ghz proc in the maxiPad. In regards to games, i hear that a bunch of the games are just iPhone clones and the iPhone has been around for how many years so devs have had all that time to develop games for the system so ya obviously there will be a bunch. Apparently if you've bought the game on your iPhone as well, you have to redownload the game that you already own and in some cases it's even more expensive on the iPad (IE: Angry Birds HD). On this tablet THAT HAS FLASH ENABLED, you can actually go to gaming sites and play FREE flash games. You also have the ability to install your own games that you already own. Sure the touch functionality might not be as great for games since they weren't designed specifically for touch screen use but I'm sure some games will be playable. Starcraft touch anyone?
lol flash on a touch screen. 90% of the games out there wont work unless you add a physical keyboard or mouse in.

It would be like trying to play a Wii game with a 360 controller. It just doesn't work. My brother has a Nexus One and flash a lot of flash games are too hard to control.

So you can play these stupid games....
YouTube - HTC Sense on Nexus One: Playing Facebook Flash Game
YouTube - Farmville on Nexus One

While I will be playing games designed to be played on the device. They also load almost instantly, have better graphics, better game play, and way more features like achievements, online play, etc.

I am sorry but flash games isn't a good experience on a touch only platform.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 1, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^funny you say that, I played No More Heroes 2 with a Xbox 360 controller just fine, I even prefer the Xbox 360 over the WiiRemote for that game.

Both Asus tablets look nice, I wouldn't mind having them but I seriously doubt the 10 hour battery life.