Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default NVIDIA breaks up with Hardware Secrets

Article.
I think that nVidia is on a crashing course. WTF is that? Bring ATi + PhysX then take it because is a bug. Kill HS because they don't want to dance on nVidia songs.
What's next?
Old May 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
Banned
F@H

lol

This Monday NVIDIA will announce GeForce GTX 465. Since I didn’t sign any NDA and since I am not getting any kind of support anyway, here are the basic specs: 352 processors, 44 texture units, 607 MHz core clock, 1,215 MHz shader clock and 802 MHz (2,206 MHz QDR) memory clock. The card will have 1 GB GDDR5 memory with a 256-bit interface.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Usually I would say the politically correct thing here but not this time.

I'll get right to the point.

- Show me ONE REVIEW we did which uses more than a page about CUDA

- Show me ONE ARTICLE we did about PhysX

I'll save you the time: most NVIDIA reviews we do make a PASSING mention about CUDA / PhysX and AT MOST dedicated a page to CUDA in general. Heck, we talk more about ATI's implementation of Havok more than we have ever mentioned PhysX. Anandtech, HardOCP and more sites than I can even mention have actively criticized all of the things Gabe talks about (PhysX, CUDA implementation, etc.) and yet they still receive samples. NVIDIA still actively supports us as well even though you don't see us talking about CUDA all that much.

I have received emails from EVERY MANUFACTURER asking why certain features weren't more extensively talked about in a review. That's the way the industry works and if certain individuals take these questions as demands, they should bury their head under a rock and stop writing. I will say it again: the thought that HS was blacklisted for not talking about certain features is absolutely hilarious to me and every other editor I have talked to since that rant went live.

However, it is NOT up to a journalist to arbitrarily omit even a small mention about features just because they think "...commenting these features would make any real sense to the average consumer". Like it or not, CUDA and to a lesser extent PhysX are features which do have benefits albeit not necessarily large ones right now. IMO, this has nothing to do with NVIDIA but rather the insistence of HS to not publish information that might appeal to some of its user base. As they say "more information can never hurt you".

This is childish at best and Gabriel should be ashamed of himself for belly-aching in public. I guess since bashing NVIDIA is this year's favorite flavor, Gabe thought he would join in on the fun and maybe get some sympathy votes. He's a stand-up guy from what I hear but I'm not buying it because I think this whole situation has to do with something else altogether different and he's reading too much into it. Plus, airing one's dirty laundry isn't a good way to go about mending bridges...

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 28, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 02:26 PM
Banned
F@H

so,theoretically speaking, why were they blacklisted? ;)
Old May 28, 2010, 02:37 PM

I don't want to surmise what it could be but to automatically start jumping up and down while shouting "because of PhysX!!!" and then stamping your foot in a fit of rage by blowing the supposed specs for NVIDIA's next launch isn't something that should be done. At least not in public.
Old May 28, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is quite interesting. The mention of the 465 makes me wonder how xbitlabs got away with publishing their 'preview'.

Old May 28, 2010, 04:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If I'm a manufacturer and I send a sample out to a review site I'd expect them to mention the features the part has, its there job. You don't have to like the features but list them.
The reader/customer determines if those features are relevant or not.

Old May 28, 2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
If I'm a manufacturer and I send a sample out to a review site I'd expect them to mention the features the part has, its there job. You don't have to like the features but list them.
The reader/customer determines if those features are relevant or not.
Bingo. It should be up to the readers to deem a particular technology useful or not. It's the publication's job to present FACTS so the readers can make exactly that decision. Not sweep it under the rug just because it is expedient to do so.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This is childish at best and Gabriel should be ashamed of himself for belly-aching in public. I guess since bashing NVIDIA is this year's favorite flavor, Gabe thought he would join in on the fun and maybe get some sympathy votes. He's a stand-up guy from what I hear but I'm not buying it because I think this whole situation has to do with something else altogether different and he's reading too much into it. Plus, airing one's dirty laundry isn't a good way to go about mending bridges...
Try looking at the date of the review Gabe mentioned in the article. It's from over a year ago. I wouldn't call this "belly-aching" considering how long he kept his mouth shut about it. I suspect the only reason the article exists is because he's getting tired of people asking him why there aren't any launch-day reviews of nVidia cards on his site.

Gabe is a stand-up guy, and maybe if you actually read some Hardware Secrets articles you'd see that he's one of the more up-front reviewers out there. I don't blame him for bringing this information out into the public, because if he is indeed telling the truth (and I trust his word), then this was some pretty sleazy behaviour from nVidia in the first place.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Try looking at the date of the review Gabe mentioned in the article. It's from over a year ago. I wouldn't call this "belly-aching" considering how long he kept his mouth shut about it. I suspect the only reason the article exists is because he's getting tired of people asking him why there aren't any launch-day reviews of nVidia cards on his site.

Gabe is a stand-up guy, and maybe if you actually read some Hardware Secrets articles you'd see that he's one of the more up-front reviewers out there. I don't blame him for bringing this information out into the public, because if he is indeed telling the truth (and I trust his word), then this was some pretty sleazy behaviour from nVidia in the first place.
HS is one of the only other sites I read on a regular basis. Hence why I say this blog post is completely at odds with the usual demeanor of the site.

And he doesn't know the truth. The post is full of supposition regarding why he was "cut off" so to speak. No one but NVIDIA knows the reasoning behind this and I'm SURE they're not going to address the situation now.