Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
HS is one of the only other sites I read on a regular basis. Hence why I say this blog post is completely at odds with the usual demeanor of the site.

And he doesn't know the truth. The post is full of supposition regarding why he was "cut off" so to speak. No one but NVIDIA knows the reasoning behind this and I'm SURE they're not going to address the situation now.
If they didn't give him anything more to go on in the year since they cut ties, I doubt they would have said anything more regardless of whether or not he wrote this article. At least this removes some of the mystery for his readers, and I dare say the man cares more about them than he does about a company that doesn't seem to give two shits about him.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think that assuming this has something to do with not talking about certain card features and then posting that supposition for all the world to see is doing an injustice to his readers rather than helping them.

It is quite simple: "The reason you are not seeing any NVIDIA reviews here or on my other site is because they have not been supporting us. On behalf of my millions of readers in the English and Latin speaking world, let me say this: NVIDIA, WAKE UP!!"

But that's not what happened. We get more finger pointing which doesn't do anyone a lick of good.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see how it does any harm either. Gabe is speculating about the reason nVidia severed the relationship with him. Considering the fact that it appears the only thing he did to prompt that action was to neglect mentioning CUDA and PhysX in a review after nVidia asked him to, it seems like a reasonable assumption to make. In any case, without any other info to go on, there's nothing more to be said.

There is of course also the possibility that now that this is out in public, nVidia will actually respond with a true explanation of what happened. If Gabe's comments are really as inaccurate as you are making them out to be, then perhaps nVidia will want to set the record straight in order to preserve some of their reputation.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
There is of course also the possibility that now that this is out in public, nVidia will actually respond with a true explanation of what happened.
I highly doubt. Knowing how's acting nVidia PR in my country I'd say that don't give a sh*t on Gabe's article.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

I sure noticed that Gabe is not "politically correct".
He even claims that most reviewers aren't knowledgeable enough and post crap reviews.

This is an example:

Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong | Hardware Secrets

I don't know what to say, my electronics knowledge at the PCB/components level is really weak. That being said, Gabe seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the "hardware".
I trust HWC and Jonnyguru for PSU reviews, HS seems good too. I think Gabe got a point tho. Not every review site should do PSU reviews.

Quoting HS:

Quote:
Most hardware-reviewing websites do power supply reviews by taking several pictures of the product, installing it on the “reviewer” personal computer and, if the unit works (and it probably will), they say nice things about the product (just some examples: here, here, here, here and here).
He's pointing fingers directly at different review sites...telling his readers that this guy and that guy are wrong. I think he doesn't like friends....maybe he's really good, but anyhow, it's not the way to gain readers by blackmailing others.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; May 29, 2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Not every review site should do PSU reviews...
...without proper testing equipment, methodology and knowledgeable/fair reviewer.

That PSU article is true. There are a few sites which have a good PSU testing methodology and equipment.
Fortunately SKY is one of my favorite PSU reviewers but it hurts that he's not doing PSU reviews regularly.
Anyway I like Gabe that (among others) it tells straight what he has to say.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:53 AM

I totally agree with Delavan.

The situation he has started with a blog post full of assumption and the fact that he called out individual sites in his PSU article really does shine a different light on things.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:24 AM
Banned
F@H

i go to johnny's for psus, love the trashtalk mingled with the components detailed description,fouls,etc.

in here as well, but no trash talk :p
Old May 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
I sure noticed that Gabe is not "politically correct".
He even claims that most reviewers aren't knowledgeable enough and post crap reviews.

This is an example:

Why 99% of Power Supply Reviews Are Wrong | Hardware Secrets

I don't know what to say, my electronics knowledge at the PCB/components level is really weak. That being said, Gabe seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the "hardware".
I trust HWC and Jonnyguru for PSU reviews, HS seems good too. I think Gabe got a point tho. Not every review site should do PSU reviews.

Quoting HS:

He's pointing fingers directly at different review sites...telling his readers that this guy and that guy are wrong. I think he doesn't like friends....maybe he's really good, but anyhow, it's not the way to gain readers by blackmailing others.
He's not blackmailing anyone. He's just calling out the people who do not write proper PSU reviews, and he is absolutely correct. If one of these review sites gives five stars to a Powmax unit and a reader buys one and has it kill his system, then that is simply irresponsible behaviour on the part of the reviewer. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all, or else you end up doing more harm than good. Even if the tone of his article was a bit harsh, that doesn't diminish the importance of the message behind it.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
He's just calling out the people who do not write proper PSU reviews, and he is absolutely correct.
No, he isn't. It was totally possible to write the article without pointing fingers. Much like in the blog post about why he was "supposedly" cut off by NVIDIA.