Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2010, 04:45 PM
Banned
F@H

i might get the blockage(well i dont but still) on lower end where theyre afraid ppl will get a 5850/70 and use a 9800 or soemthing for physx..leave it open for mid-to high-range i say

when exactly did this happen, in time...the 5xxx series mustve been out already right? before that i dont remember..meh mamory is vague right now :p

im thinking, they needed not block it a while ago, but recently yup..why? no high end cards of there own to compete vs said 5xxx series.......really dumb not to let people buy their cards for use for physx...i bet lots of people started doing/projecting on doing it ,probably they run the numbers and the stool dropped in the conference room...:)
Old May 31, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I will just drop my opinion. AKG is right.

If you want CUDA, Physx, Folding, 3D, and currently tessellation go with Nvidia.
If you want a card the is powerful at older games and doesn't use much power or is a space heater go with ATI.

I don't know why so many ATI folks want physx so badly anyways. It is only in a few games and most of those are dated already except for Metro 2033. Metro 2033 doesn't really look any different with Physx anyways. Maybe there will be more killer titles in the future but currently physx isn't a major feature at all.

Now tessellation on the other hand is one of the main reasons why I went with Nvidia. The 480 beats the 5970 at high res with high tessellation. People that don't think tessellation is an important feature and that will be included in the majority of games to come are blind. DX11 is the single most important upgrade to DX since DX 9.0. $5 that every next gen console will have tessellation.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old May 31, 2010, 01:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nvidia paid millions for AGEIA and have invested countless more millions into developing and marketing physx.
They need to sell new gpu's ..... Its mindboggling that someone would think they should give it away.

Old May 31, 2010, 02:08 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, NVIDIA is in the business of selling graphics and processing solutions. This doesn't have anything to do with them "locking out" ATI; they're actually locking THEMSELVES out. They could sell MORE GPUs by allowing users to purchase the GPU of their choice but STILL allow ONLY NVIDIA cards to process PhysX -be it in a system with an ATI primary card or two+ NVIDIA cards. It would still be a means towards profitability and moving product without "giving away" their own technology.

Instead, they are locking out users who have a legitimate reason to purchase an NVIDIA card for PhysX to use WITH their ATI card. NVIDIA gets a sale where they wouldn't have any so I don't see why they wouldn't want this. It is the reason so many people are questioning the motives here especially when NVIDIA has access to ATI cards for their competitive analysis labs to begin with and should have no issue doing QA on the cards.

There are without a doubt many people who currently have ATI cards but want PhysX as well even if it means installing a dedicated NVIDIA GPU into their system. PhysX and CUDA in general isn't that hard of a sell and people are willing to give it a shot since there are FINALLY apps that take advantage of it but NVIDIA is MAKING it hard on themselves IMO....
Old May 31, 2010, 02:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, NVIDIA is in the business of selling graphics and processing solutions.
So you think most people would buy new nvidia gpu's for physx? I'm not so sure,I think most people would just use old cards unless nvidia made and marketed some kinda kick arse physx card everyone had to have.

Old May 31, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Only so many people run ATI GPUs and NVIDIA GPUs together... As AKG said, I for one don't want to deal with the driver headaches ATI + NVIDIA GPUs create when they're together. Heck I don't want to deal with the headaches created by SLI and Crossfire!

So back on topic, my stance on this is: Yes NVIDIA is leaving the enthusiasts out who run ATI + NVIDIA GPUs. For normal people or people with one GPU, oh wells. PhysX isn't worth it.
Old May 31, 2010, 03:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
As AKG said, I for one don't want to deal with the driver headaches ATI + NVIDIA GPUs create when they're together.
I agree,I wouldn't even install 2 different nvidia drivers.

Old May 31, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Honestly, NVIDIA is in the business of selling graphics and processing solutions. This doesn't have anything to do with them "locking out" ATI; they're actually locking THEMSELVES out. They could sell MORE GPUs by allowing users to purchase the GPU of their choice but STILL allow ONLY NVIDIA cards to process PhysX -be it in a system with an ATI primary card or two+ NVIDIA cards. It would still be a means towards profitability and moving product without "giving away" their own technology.

Instead, they are locking out users who have a legitimate reason to purchase an NVIDIA card for PhysX to use WITH their ATI card. NVIDIA gets a sale where they wouldn't have any so I don't see why they wouldn't want this. It is the reason so many people are questioning the motives here especially when NVIDIA has access to ATI cards for their competitive analysis labs to begin with and should have no issue doing QA on the cards.

There are without a doubt many people who currently have ATI cards but want PhysX as well even if it means installing a dedicated NVIDIA GPU into their system. PhysX and CUDA in general isn't that hard of a sell and people are willing to give it a shot since there are FINALLY apps that take advantage of it but NVIDIA is MAKING it hard on themselves IMO....
THANK YOU SKY. Enabling Physx would be in no way giving away their IP to the competition, it's not running on an ATI card, it's running of the NV card!! Why are you guys using that as an arguement? They are disabling features on THEIR OWN CARDS, not giving the ATI card the ability to run phsyx on it!! Everyone understand now?
Old May 31, 2010, 04:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
It is the reason so many people are questioning the motives here especially when NVIDIA has access to ATI cards for their competitive analysis labs to begin with and should have no issue doing QA on the cards.
They don't even NEED to do QA with ATI cards. The PhysX API is completely independent from the graphics driver, so the specific GPU that is being used makes no difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
So you think most people would buy new nvidia gpu's for physx? I'm not so sure,I think most people would just use old cards unless nvidia made and marketed some kinda kick arse physx card everyone had to have.
nVidia has been EOLing all of their old products, so if somebody wanted to purchase a PhysX card that wasn't used, they would have no choice but to purchase a newer model card.
Old May 31, 2010, 04:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
I know of a good half dozen people who were going to pop an NVIDIA card into their ATI rig as a secondary card for CUDA apps (including PhysX) after this news broke. While it may be small, there is still a market for it.