Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2010, 01:49 PM
Banned
F@H

beers on the house guys...youre going to run brother sky dry if this continues lol!
Old May 30, 2010, 02:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
OUR companies hey? So YOUR company is Nvidia, like you own shares in it or something???
In case you haven't noticed, the rest of my paragraph was an analogy.

Yea, that's cuz nvidia created physx. How about you invent something new and we both manufacture it and I rack up some of your potential sales? No? Yea, same response you'll get from nvidia or anyone else in their right mind, except santa claus.

dangtx, I'm underage
Old May 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
Banned
F@H

you guys still havent calmed down i see...kiddos

yeah,sorry. forgot
Old May 30, 2010, 03:08 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Actually Aegia created PhysX...
Old May 30, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Great Thread....always seems to boil down to green vs red....ohhh the passion ;)

1. You want PhsyX and shear power for Benching / Gaming, and your not concerned about heat.....go green!!

2. You don't care about PhysX nor Benching and want a cool running gaming Card.....go red!!!

Thats it........as AkG pointed out...why the heck would any Company allow another competitive Company to utilize their own developed Tech....now THAT doesn't make sense at all ;)

Old May 30, 2010, 03:33 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Yea, that's cuz nvidia created physx. How about you invent something new and we both manufacture it and I rack up some of your potential sales? No? Yea, same response you'll get from nvidia or anyone else in their right mind, except santa claus.
nVidia is losing potential sales by preventing CUDA from being used when an ATI GPU is in the system. Like I already said, I would buy more nVidia cards to put in my upcoming ATI system, but because of their pointless limitation, I'm not able to do that. The end result is that nVidia loses money, because instead of caving in and buying all nVidia cards, I'm just not going to buy any. Explain to me how that is a win for them.
Old May 30, 2010, 03:45 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
nVidia is losing potential sales by preventing CUDA from being used when an ATI GPU is in the system. Like I already said, I would buy more nVidia cards to put in my upcoming ATI system, but because of their pointless limitation, I'm not able to do that. The end result is that nVidia loses money, because instead of caving in and buying all nVidia cards, I'm just not going to buy any. Explain to me how that is a win for them.
I don't often agree with zero, but in this case I'll make an exception. If Nvidia were truly confident that CUDA is better than Stream and that PhysX was better than Havok, then prevent ATI users from using them? Oops Nvidia
Old May 30, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You are assuming two things here guys A) that you are in the majority of users and B) most people will boycott a company over simply protecting their IP! The fact of the matter is most peeps dont want to run both camps at the same time. To me that sounds like twice the headaches over drivers. ATI + Physx is a niche of a niche. Most peeps who think Physx is important will simply buy NV and give ATI a pass. Does ATI allow peeps to use their tech when NV cards are present? And before you answer "yes/no...but most games use Physx and not blah blah blah" you have answered my real question for me. NV has IP that is valuable. Please stop crying over the fact that they wont share with the competition. IF ATI believes this market is important....they will do what all other companies in the real world do: develop their own, market it and support it....or BUY a license from the competition. NV has spent time, money and effort in developing & nurturing Physx. It is an edge over the competition. They wont give away an edge for free. Nothing in this world is free and NV obviously feels any lost sales to "boycotts" is less then lost sales to ATI. Once again, dont like it. Dont have to. Its just the way it is. But crying about it is getting old. And the convo is just going in circles.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 30, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
.or BUY a license from the competition
Thats what makes the most sense from a "business perspective"....the premium charged would of course have to make it worthwhile for nv in the 1st place, as in making up the lost sales due to folks going with ATI + PhysX....or a simple "Royalty" premium based upon a percentage of overall sales.......

Old May 30, 2010, 05:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
You are assuming two things here guys A) that you are in the majority of users
No, I am not. Actually, you're the one assuming something, and that is that I give a damn about the majority perspective, which I most certainly do not. I'm not arguing this from anyone's perspective but my own. nVidia's decision to block PhysX on their cards when an ATI card is present is hurting me personally as a consumer. That's why I'm pissed off. It has nothing to do with anybody else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Does ATI allow peeps to use their tech when NV cards are present?
Yes. ATI does not prevent Brook from being used on one of their cards if an nVidia card is also present in the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Thats what makes the most sense from a "business perspective"....
No, it makes absolutely no sense. Why should ATI buy a license for something that won't be running on its cards? The issue here isn't PhysX running on ATI cards, it's PhysX running on nVidia cards in the same system as an ATI card. And there is no technical reason why it should not be possible.