Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This reminds me of the pc versus game console debates. Pc gamers would whine when a great game would hit the market for console users only and vice versa. Mind you, it would be much easier to go out and buy a console than it would to build a gaming rig. Some people were furious. How dare they release this game for pc only or console only! It's not fair! I say stop whining and get on with your life. It's just a game.

I for one also agree that Nvidia should keep physx proprietary. You want physx? Buy Nvidia kit. Just because you are a consumer, you can't dictate to a manufacturer how they should use their technologies. Seriously, I don't understand why so many get so hyped up over a piece of plastic.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old May 29, 2010, 08:00 PM
Banned
F@H

actually if you stop buying then they'll listen :)
Old May 30, 2010, 09:07 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Very true, ati guys are like little kids that see nvidia guys with candy and they're whining because they didn't buy the candy but they want it anyways (i.e. get it for free). I'm sure ATI could offer a sum of money to borrow physx from nvidia and make you ati guys happier. Instead of blaming your own company, you blame nvidia for not giving you free candy, just because you see nvidia with it. Where's the logic behind that? There's some saying, give a man an inch and tomorrow he'll want a feet.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Very true, ati guys are like little kids that see nvidia guys with candy and they're whining because they didn't buy the candy but they want it anyways (i.e. get it for free). Instead of blaming your own company, you blame nvidia for not giving you free candy, just because you see nvidia with it. .
How is it free candy if you need to buy a nvidia card to get physics/cuda? People should have the choice to run an ati card and a nvidia card for physics/cuda. Nvidia is losing sales with this lock.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer265@ View Post
How is it free candy if you need to buy a nvidia card to get physics/cuda? People should have the choice to run an ati card and a nvidia card for physics/cuda. Nvidia is losing sales with this lock.
license
Old May 30, 2010, 10:28 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
license
License? What license? If PhysX is running on the nVidia card, why would anything need a license?
Old May 30, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
license
License for what? It can be argued that if a card is advertised as being able to run PhysX, Nvidia should at least have the decency to mention that the existence of an competitor's card in the same system invalidates that selling point.

But beyond that issue, which can certainly be construed as grounds for false advertising, I don't know that it can be said that things "should" be a certain way. Personally, I think it's a really stupid approach by Nvidia, but I don't know that you can ascribe some sort of moral position to their overall approach. Their software/API, their choice in how they market it. And if they want to shoot themselves in the foot, that's their choice too.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Guys I cant believe you are still arguing over this. It ain't happening. Get over it. It doesnt make business sense to do so. Morality has nothing to do with it. Even if lost sales doesn't enter into it...NV just doesnt want to take responsibility for any incompatibility between its card and ATI (and their drivers) when running in the same system....which they would have to do if they allowed it to work WITH their blessing.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 30, 2010, 10:46 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
NV just doesnt want to take responsibility for any incompatibility between its card and ATI (and their drivers) when running in the same system....which they would have to do if they allowed it to work WITH their blessing.
nVidia can allow it without actively supporting it. They take that approach with overclocking.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Very true, ati guys are like little kids that see nvidia guys with candy and they're whining because they didn't buy the candy but they want it anyways (i.e. get it for free). I'm sure ATI could offer a sum of money to borrow physx from nvidia and make you ati guys happier. Instead of blaming your own company, you blame nvidia for not giving you free candy, just because you see nvidia with it. Where's the logic behind that? There's some saying, give a man an inch and tomorrow he'll want a feet.
OUR companies hey? So YOUR company is Nvidia, like you own shares in it or something??? I'm sure no one REALLY gives that much of a crap that they can't get physx with their ATI card that much, but it just doesn't make sense for Nvidia to disable features from their own cards if an ATI card is detected. The only reason I would want physx (well, CUDA) in my system is for folding. Other than that, I don't play any games that support physx...

Last edited by headsh0t; May 30, 2010 at 01:08 PM.