Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 06:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

PhysX is still on the level of mere gimmickry in its current form, so why nVidia doesn't milk any possible sales gains from hocking some cheap-o GT240's is beyond me. Once they manage to make it something more worthwhile in the public's eye, then they can go back to making it a format reserved for those who run an nVidia system. They left Ageia users out in the cold, so it's not like they'll be all too worried about burning some ATI users.

Last edited by DkRk; May 28, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The other way to look at it (and probably the way NV is) is why allow your competition to "leech" off your tech? Why would an enthusiast buy a high priced yet older NV tech (285 for example), when he get a cheap NV and a newer gen ATI which would be prolly the same total price yet be "faster" or at least "prettier". For the longest while ATI was the only one with 11 cards on the market. Doing this in combination with "it will be any month now" PR they had going for fermi, probably helped slow the hemorrhaging of green peeps to team red. By making it an "either / or" scenario it may have saved sales or cost ATI sales at the very least. Hell, even if only saved one....it was probably worth it. If you want NV tech you need to run NV kit...exclusively. Seems reasonable. Scummy....but reasonable when looked at from a business POV.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 28, 2010, 06:32 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
No, you're wrong. The driver lock is a completely arbitrary restriction that does nothing but harm the consumer by restricting his choices. I'd love to have some nVidia cards in my upcoming 5870 rig so I can fold on them, but because of nVidia, I'm not able to do that.
Yea that's exactly what I was talking about. You guys aren't gonna get nvidia much revenue even though there are a lot of you guys, and there's always the temptation to go nvidia. OTOH if nvidia unlocks it, they would lose revenue from pissed of nvidia fanboys selling off their nvidia's and going ati. You're only thinking of yourself here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
PhysX is still on the level of mere gimmickry in its current form, so why nVidia doesn't milk any possible sales gains from hocking some cheap-o GT240's is beyond me. Once they manage to make it something more worthwhile in the public's eye, then they can go back to making it a format reserved for those who run an nVidia system. They left Ageia users out in the cold, so it's not like they'll be all too worried about burning some ATI users.
Doesn't work like that, as I've already mentioned in previous posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The other way to look at it (and probably the way NV is) is why allow your competition to "leech" off your tech? Why would an enthusiast buy a high priced yet older NV tech (285 for example), when he get a cheap NV and a newer gen ATI which would be prolly the same total price yet be "faster" or at least "prettier". For the longest while ATI was the only one with 11 cards on the market. Doing this in combination with "it will be any month now" PR they had going for fermi, probably helped slow the hemorrhaging of green peeps to team red. By making it an "either / or" scenario it may have saved sales or cost ATI sales at the very least. Hell, even if only saved one....it was probably worth it. If you want NV tech you need to run NV kit...exclusively. Seems reasonable. Scummy....but reasonable when looked at from a business POV.
Exactly what I was trying to say, worded 5 times better than I could have.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:35 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Yea that's exactly what I was talking about. You guys aren't gonna get nvidia much revenue even though there are a lot of you guys, and there's always the temptation to go nvidia. OTOH if nvidia unlocks it, they would lose revenue from pissed of nvidia fanboys selling off their nvidia's and going ati. You're only thinking of yourself here...
I don't give a crap about nVidia's revenue. If they make a product that people want, they will buy it. Restricting their choices is a cheap ploy to increase sales because they are having difficulty competing otherwise. That's not my problem; my problem is trying to put together a system that fits my needs for a good price, and an all-nVidia rig does not fit my needs.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't give a crap about nVidia's revenue. If they make a product that people want, they will buy it. Restricting their choices is a cheap ploy to increase sales because they are having difficulty competing otherwise. That's not my problem; my problem is trying to put together a system that fits my needs for a good price, and an all-nVidia rig does not fit my needs.
Guess it's working. I'm sticking with nvidia, loving physx once again only thinking for yourself... just like how pc gaming is dieing because of the pirating paradox (cheapos pirate because they won't spend a cent, result higher game prices, result even more people pirate because they don't want to spend $50, result pc gaming dead), if you want everything for yourself and your wish came true, nvidia would die and no more physx. Maybe havok would take over or something, but that's a different thing. I'm enjoying physx while the going's good.

But dude, chill. There's always the driver hack you can fall back on, and this buggy driver
Old May 28, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Cheap ploy is certainly one way to look at....but once again why do expect ANY company to give away ANYTHING to their competition, especially when they hate each other. Name any industry where you expect competitors to share and give up technological advances in the name of "fairness". You can be damn well certain if the shoe was on the other foot and ATI had guess right and NV wrong that ATI would NOT be allowing their proprietary tech to work with NV! You may not give 2 shites about their bottom line...but THEY do! Anything which can negatively impact that is by very definition a bad thing to them. Hell in the long run its a bad thing for us to. If ATI had everything....why would anyone buy NV? IF NV wasn't around crap would be bad. AMD has a proven track record of jacking up prices and milking advantages for all their worth (look at what they did with their X2's when Intel were crap). IF there was no competition...we would all be running ATI 5xxx series card for the next friggin decade.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 28, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone here is in favour of ATI as their primary gpu... I still use a gtx260 and I'm loving it better than the 5870 that I sold. If people want physx, then why don't they just buy a nvidia card? It's just stupid when they buy ATI and expect to have physx. I don't think this would have been an entirely smart move. If nvidia did this, people who bought nvidia just for physx will be pissed off and their sales will DROP as everyone rushes to buy a ATI primary and a little cheap nvidia for Physx. People who say this is a 'good' move are... not very smart.

I hope nvidia doesn't unlock physx on ati rigs, it would be a horrible move and would probably kill the company. And feed the ATI fanboys.
Let me ask you this, What is there that NVIDIA has that attracts people? What if physx was never there? What is the advantage of running a NVIDIA besides having physx?

Do you also notice all the advertising they're doing? Whats the point of seeing the NVIDIA symbol twice when you open a up a TWIMTPP game.

And oh yea, NCIX had 5 Fermi on sale one time. This is only the second month of NVIDIA's new shit. I guess shortage of supply has been met.

Don't forgot about that NVIDIA SLI license crap.
Old May 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Idiot...I love Nvidia but now...Divorce is the only way to go.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 28, 2010, 07:14 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
Let me ask you this, What is there that NVIDIA has that attracts people? What if physx was never there? What is the advantage of running a NVIDIA besides having physx?

Do you also notice all the advertising they're doing? Whats the point of seeing the NVIDIA symbol twice when you open a up a TWIMTPP game.

And oh yea, NCIX had 5 Fermi on sale one time. This is only the second month of NVIDIA's new shit. I guess shortage of supply has been met.

Don't forgot about that NVIDIA SLI license crap.
I really don't mind that kind of stuff (but I do mind Google stealing my privacy and information, and even still I use gmail). Physx is here though.... if it was never there, someone would have made it. I'm paying a bit more for a little chip nvidia installed beside the primary gpu for a better gaming experience, and I think it's worth it. Just because they advertise, doesn't mean they're evil... they have a different marketing method than ati, and I have nothing against that.

Damn akg is just soooo good with words lol, I think this is the first time I completely agree with his opinions
Old May 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Doesn't work like that, as I've already mentioned in previous posts.
How so? If nVidia does make the better card taking into account Tessellation performance as you say it does, then why would people move from their high end GTX's to an ATI?

Quote:
I don't think this would have been an entirely smart move. If nvidia did this, people who bought nvidia just for physx will be pissed off and their sales will DROP as everyone rushes to buy a ATI primary and a little cheap nvidia for Physx. People who say this is a 'good' move are... not very smart.

I hope nvidia doesn't unlock physx on ati rigs, it would be a horrible move and would probably kill the company. And feed the ATI fanboys.
Why would someone who bought an nVidia card be upset at this development? If a consumer has done their research, and made a satisfactory purchase, what reason would they have to buy an ATI card if PhysX was offered to the 'red side'. You've said it yourself that nVidia makes the better card anyways, so I'm sure nVidia will be able to stand on its two feet just fine, and maybe even make a couple extra sales from those who didn't buy their product. Or are you saying that nVidia's product is actually mediocre without PhysX, and cannot compete without the featue? I don't understand.

Fanboyism? I'm not seeing much here. There's people with ATI cards that want to run nVidia's technology, so that certainly doesn't reek of fanboyism. You don't strike me as a fanboy either, seeing as you've effectively said that nVidia wouldn't have a leg to stand on without PhysX.

If nVidia's financial viability in the graphics market actually depends upon PhysX, then they might as well just cede the market to ATI and Intel. Fortunately that isn't the case, and a move like this would not kill the company. Far from it. PhysX is a niche product, and sales related to it are minor in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
btw for those folks that think nvidia 'unlocked' physx on ati rigs because they're dieing... you guys are pessimists. It's hard to describe, it's like saying "hah, those chinese folks have flat noses because of the airbag!" when it's actually our genetics and have nothing to do with the cause you fool yourself into believing... though that's your decision to believe that, I just hope you guys don't contaminate the innocent minds of others with false information and spread it like a plague.
Talk about exaggeration. Not one post in this thread in any way mirrors your analogy. Heck, it was you that said that enabling PhysX with ATI would kill nVidia, not anyone else. Questions in this thread about nVidia's viability are suppositions, and are unfounded, just as the material in your posts are. We're 'not very smart?' Puh-leeeze.

Last edited by DkRk; May 28, 2010 at 07:29 PM.