Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
These beta drivers don't do well w/ F@H?
I don't know I just used the 197 drivers because they were recommended by Stanford in the beta release.
Old May 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wow, this is really utter BS they just will not allow this. This is pathetic if you ask me.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I don't know I just used the 197 drivers because they were recommended by Stanford in the beta release.
They were recommended because they're the newest WHQL drivers. F@H does not test with pre-release drivers.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I don't understand why everyone here is in favour of ATI as their primary gpu... I still use a gtx260 and I'm loving it better than the 5870 that I sold. If people want physx, then why don't they just buy a nvidia card? It's just stupid when they buy ATI and expect to have physx. I don't think this would have been an entirely smart move. If nvidia did this, people who bought nvidia just for physx will be pissed off and their sales will DROP as everyone rushes to buy a ATI primary and a little cheap nvidia for Physx. People who say this is a 'good' move are... not very smart.

I hope nvidia doesn't unlock physx on ati rigs, it would be a horrible move and would probably kill the company. And feed the ATI fanboys.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:16 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I don't understand why everyone here is in favour of ATI as their primary gpu... I still use a gtx260 and I'm loving it better than the 5870 that I sold.
I'm using a GTX260, and it's not cutting the mustard. I'll be getting a 5870 to replace it in the near future. Perhaps you just need a monitor with a higher resolution to reap the benefits of a faster card. nVidia doesn't have anything that competes effectively with the 5870, since the 470 is slower, and the 480 is considerably more expensive and uses considerably more power.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:18 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone here is in favour of ATI as their primary gpu... I still use a gtx260 and I'm loving it better than the 5870 that I sold. If people want physx, then why don't they just buy a nvidia card? It's just stupid when they buy ATI and expect to have physx. I don't think this would have been an entirely smart move. If nvidia did this, people who bought nvidia just for physx will be pissed off and their sales will DROP as everyone rushes to buy a ATI primary and a little cheap nvidia for Physx. People who say this is a 'good' move are... not very smart.

I hope nvidia doesn't unlock physx on ati rigs, it would be a horrible move and would probably kill the company. And feed the ATI fanboys.
Why would someone want an interior card for gaming? The reason people want an ATI 5-series card for the main GPU because performance per $ and per watt is considerably more than an Nvidia 4-series card. I don't think they would be shooting themselves in the feet to allow Nvidia cards for PhysX alongside ATI cards. There are a lot of people already w/ ATI 5-series cards that wouldn't mind adding a second card for PhysX. We aren't about to sell our cards just to have PhysX.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:23 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I'm using a GTX260, and it's not cutting the mustard. I'll be getting a 5870 to replace it in the near future. Perhaps you just need a monitor with a higher resolution to reap the benefits of a faster card. nVidia doesn't have anything that competes effectively with the 5870, since the 470 is slower, and the 480 is considerably more expensive and uses considerably more power.
yea maybe, I'm running a single 1080p right now..

The 470 directly competes with the 5870. It completely laughs in 5870's face. I mean with tesselation turned on. Of course everyone uses tesselation right? No I'm not joking, I seriously mean that. I don't consider non-tesselation benchmarks at all, I only look at tesselation benchies because that's the only reason I would ever upgrade to cypress or fermi. Really, I'm not joking about that.

btw for those folks that think nvidia 'unlocked' physx on ati rigs because they're dieing... you guys are pessimists. It's hard to describe, it's like saying "hah, those chinese folks have flat noses because of the airbag!" when it's actually our genetics and have nothing to do with the cause you fool yourself into believing... though that's your decision to believe that, I just hope you guys don't contaminate the innocent minds of others with false information and spread it like a plague.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:27 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
btw for those folks that think nvidia 'unlocked' physx on ati rigs because they're dieing... you guys are pessimists. It's hard to describe, it's like saying "hah, those chinese folks have flat noses because of the airbag!" when it's actually our genetics and have nothing to do with the cause you fool yourself into believing... though that's your decision to believe that, I just hope you guys don't contaminate the innocent minds of others with false information and spread it like a plague.
If you think that nVidia hasn't lost market share because of Fermi's long delay in coming to market and it's less than outstanding performance (especially for the power it consumes), then you should stay away from business-related conversations until you get a bit older. nVidia's PR machine did a lot of work to make people think it wasn't a big deal, but make no mistake, the Fermi that we have now is not what it was initially intended to be.

Not that I'm implying nVidia is dying, but they are certainly not doing as well as they were, say, back in the G80 days.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If you think that nVidia hasn't lost market share because of Fermi's long delay in coming to market and it's less than outstanding performance (especially for the power it consumes), then you should stay away from business-related conversations until you get a bit older. nVidia's PR machine did a lot of work to make people think it wasn't a big deal, but make no mistake, the Fermi that we have now is not what it was initially intended to be.

Not that I'm implying nVidia is dying, but they are certainly not doing as well as they were, say, back in the G80 days.
I know it's been delayed, I was waiting just as much. Yea it lost a lot of sales because ati came out with dx11/tesselation first, but it still doesn't defeat the fact that nvidia is simply much better with performance/dollar with tesselation turned on.

Back to unlocking physx... at least am I right that unlocking physx to ati rigs woulda been a horrible decision? The way I see it, more games would support physx and ati owners would buy cheap nvidia cards, but people who currently have high end nvidia's would probably get pissed and move over to ati, so all nvidia would end up selling would be low end cheap video cards for htpc's and physx.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:50 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Back to unlocking physx... at least am I right that unlocking physx to ati rigs woulda been a horrible decision?
No, you're wrong. The driver lock is a completely arbitrary restriction that does nothing but harm the consumer by restricting his choices. I'd love to have some nVidia cards in my upcoming 5870 rig so I can fold on them, but because of nVidia, I'm not able to do that.