Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2010, 07:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Before going off on some rant, I suggest you take a look at their driver settings. They used custom profile settings for both ATI and NVIDIA cards which WILL impact performance of both companies' cards.

As for biased versus unbiased: a journalist doesn't have that luxury. We might all have an unjustified hate on for NVIDIA because of what they did in the past but that should NEVER impact upon the impartiality of a review. If it is a good product, it should be treated as such. Unfortunately, a preview with drivers NVIDIA says should NOT be used for reviews of upcoming cards along with custom profile settings should lead everyone to take the information presented with a grain of salt.

I am not saying the results are wrong. Rather, I am saying it is too early to pass judgement until we see a large cross-section of reviews.

Another thing you should also be aware of is the fact that Hardware Canucks is officially done testing DX9 games for the time being on any cards above an HD 5770. If there is an extremely popular game released with DX9, we MAY add it to the list but that will be tackled at the time. We will be replacing Dragon Age with Just Cause 2 DX10 while Far Cry 2 DX9 will not be replaced with anything. Lower-end cards may get the same treatment but that is still TBD at this point.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:12 AM
HaDeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Don't forget how FERMI probably put the nail in the coffin for BFG as a graphics card company as well.
I reckon it has a little more to do with the bottom line / profit margin. Pretty hard to provide great RMA service with barely any profit.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:45 AM
Banned
F@H

not sure if death by fermi can be attributed 100% for bfg, but its possible that when they did their math,with lifetime warranty (its possible) they saw a big hole there following 12 months or so after sale of the said fermi part
Old May 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Harsh words? After all the bullshit Nvidia has dumped on people who spend their hard earned money supporting Nvidia products? From drivers that can't turn on the fan to magically bricked cards why should anyone have anything good to say about Nvidia right now? Lets not forget the piece of wood with drywall screws they used to represent the fermi to begin with.

Now they've given people a new card that probably has a negligiable profit margin for the card makers which runs at 95c under load with stock cooling. Now theres a card I want under my desk this summer when its 35+ outside. In the winter time when its -20 or -40 out its gonna be fantastic. I will have warm feet and the animals will curl up around the leaf blower to keep warm while I frag bots in the newest release of Modern Warfare2 "Black Ops" Lets not forget the new PSU you need along with the inflated power bill.

I can only imagine the RMA situation when Nvidia scrambles to make a profit on our backs. The fermi is just another Beta product we are being asked to test on a large scale for around 500 dollars IF you can find one. Or you can purchase a rather nice 5000 series card from ATI that has more than 6 months of refining and by years end costs WAY less to run.

So I ask again... how the hell do you give something JUSTICE and escape a bias review. I respect the reviewers here and their honesty but don't cross the line for free hardware and don't powder the babies ass because it's butt is a little sore.

For some reason I do not feel like your directing to me. Are you just using me as a covering shield?

Please read the thread comments carefully.

Anyways we got the DX11, wheres the games and DXVA 3.0?
Old May 26, 2010, 07:44 PM
HaDeS

you are correct
Old May 28, 2010, 12:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Geforce GTX 465 off to a bad start
Quote:
It appears that Nvidia’s latest offering, which is supposed to deliver another taste of Fermi to the masses, is a bit lackluster. The guys from Xbitlabs have managed to get their hands on a reference Geforce GTX 465 and put it through its paces, and what they found doesn’t really spell big success for the green team.

The card’s recommended price is at $279, meaning it will set you back less than Radeon HD 5850, while at the same time being overall inferior to the red team card's performance. In fact, it’s most realistic competitor is the GTX 275, and the latter card has a tendency to beat it too many times to justify a product which is supposed to be next-gen in comparison. Ultimately, it appears that Nvidia chopped off too much from the full GF100.

Note however that the card has not yet been tested with new drivers and that subsequent driver updates will probably improve performances, but even as such it still seems to be a pretty sorry excuse for a graphics card.

True, it does feature the much touted tessellation, but performances like these, especially at higher resolutions, make many of these “advanced” features pretty obsolete.
Fudzilla
Fudzilla
Old May 30, 2010, 05:04 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I love those deceptive graphs that make tiny differences look HUGE.
Old May 30, 2010, 06:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do the NDA expire on this card tonight?
Maybe the review will be up in acouple hours.

Old May 30, 2010, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did they just rebrand a GTX275 and give it the ability to use DX11?
Old May 30, 2010, 06:59 PM
Banned
F@H

from what i gathered its a fermi,albeit in crippled form.

unless its just a cover up butthats a bit tooo far :p