Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Display Myths Shattered: How Monitor companies cook their specs (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/32237-display-myths-shattered-how-monitor-companies-cook-their-specs.html)

LaughingCrow May 18, 2010 01:09 PM

Display Myths Shattered: How Monitor companies cook their specs

When I bought my first tv, then monitor, I thought that using the diagonal measurement of a display was a deceitful marketing ploy. When LCDs came out, I wondered how 'contrast ratio' differed from 'dynamic contrast ratio' and what it really meant. Just a variation on those marketing cheats like 'new and improved.'

Quote:

Take everything you think you know about displays and throw it out the window. It's time for a clinic on what display specs really meanóbrace yourself for the alarming truth.

Vision is our most amazing and complex sense, so itís no surprise that display technology is so amazing and complicated. Itís also no surprise that most consumers donít have a good understanding of how displays function, or the best way to select them, buy them, use them, and adjust them.
Display Myths Shattered: How Monitor Companies Cook Their Specs - Page 1 | Maximum PC

Arinoth May 18, 2010 01:37 PM

I only wish more consumers actually knew and understood this. I got a good kick out of Quartron as its useless since it can't create any new colours we can see since we only have RGB colour/cone receptors in our eyes.

Digikid May 18, 2010 01:46 PM

Good article!

Jackquelegs May 18, 2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 379638)
I only wish more consumers actually knew and understood this. I got a good kick out of Quartron as its useless since it can't create any new colours we can see since we only have RGB colour/cone receptors in our eyes.

That yellow makes the screen brighter :P :haha::haha:

But how can you say no when George Takei says " OH MY "

YouTube - Sharp Electronics Quattron quad pixel technology w George Takei

LaughingCrow May 18, 2010 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few more links connected to the topic

ICC - you may see references to an ICC specification or profile:
International Color Consortium: INTERNATIONAL COLOR CONSORTIUM

Wikipedia: Color Management: Color management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adobe Gamma & ICC profiles (comes with Photoshop) Using Adobe Gamma on Windows

Windows 7 - --> Start - type in 'Color Management,' click on the Advanced Tab and you'll see the profiles (the WCS in the second space stands for Windows Color System):

LaughingCrow May 18, 2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 379638)
I got a good kick out of Quartron as its useless since it can't create any new colours we can see since we only have RGB colour/cone receptors in our eyes.

Almost everybody. But some women have 4 or are tetrachromat and perhaps some men.

Are You a Tetrachromat? | Blogadilla.com: The Tijuana of the Internet

Tetrachromacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

_dangtx_ May 18, 2010 02:48 PM

interesting read :)

El_Fiendo May 18, 2010 03:41 PM

I'm now getting a Quattron TV just because of the "Woah!!! Oh my!"

belgolas May 18, 2010 04:38 PM

Ya adding any new colour or resolution is pointless because no media unless designed for that product will use those features.

chrisk May 18, 2010 05:05 PM

Consider the following scenario;
I went to Futureshop, and saw a display advertised at 500,000:1 contrast ratio (not dynamic...I see it advertised simplay as contrast ratio all the time). If I asked the salesperson if the contrast ratio was correct, they confirmed, I bought it, and returned it later that week claiming false advertising...would they take it back?