Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Heh when buying our plasma T.V. we found it for sale at one place but they didn't have any in stock at that store. So we went to Bad Boy store because we they price match. Well at first they told us no they wont go that low because it was like $300 lower than their price. So we look around the store a bit and the guy comes back and said that he called the manufacturer and they would pay for the below cost price (so apparently it is below cost :p). So about 20 minutes later we are at the back of the store at a table were it is quiet. He says they got it down to that price. Now he goes on saying we should get extended warranty. He goes on taking for like half an hour. He goes from saying stuff like electronics are like a bell curve where most of them don't break till after a year or something like that. Guess what the extended warranty was $300 lol. When my parents said no the guys face just dropped. He then got all angry and said "don't you care about my commission?"

LOL. Now that is classic.

He should have mentioned the extended warranty, gave a price, got his "no", accepted life, gone out on the floor and try to sell another T.V.

I learned allot from the salesman at the HT store I worked at. He knew his shizz. He loves going to Visions and Bestbuy/Futureshop and phuking with salesmen. It is awesome, they teach him there stupid ways to dupe customers and he turns it right back against them when he has the chance.

I often go tho these stores and see people hauling out their new wares with a confused "did I just get drilled?" look on their face. After they dealt with us they were ecstatic.
Old July 15, 2010, 01:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely a good read considering I'll be purchasing a 40" or a 46" lcd in the next few months.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 15, 2010, 04:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Reviews and Articles

An interesting read, no doubt. It makes you wonder if the higher end tvs are really worth the extra
money. While the better tvs have better components, how much difference will it make between the high end and the ultra high end? I saw a Quattron and said to myself, big deal. Not one to fall for that gimmick. My question is: Is a very large display better or worse than a more standard one? ie 65" - 40" YOu would think it would be worse. Now I wonder.
Old July 15, 2010, 05:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
An interesting read, no doubt. It makes you wonder if the higher end tvs are really worth the extra
money. While the better tvs have better components, how much difference will it make between the high end and the ultra high end? I saw a Quattron and said to myself, big deal. Not one to fall for that gimmick. My question is: Is a very large display better or worse than a more standard one? ie 65" - 40" YOu would think it would be worse. Now I wonder.
From personal experience it can make a difference depending on the source, but as always YRMV.

When we were buying our first big screen (LCD because of natural light glare on Plasma at the time) we spent a lot of time comparing the image quality of SD source channels and found that 40" vrs 42" seemed to be the tipping point. At that time, there were only 10 HD channels available so we made our purchase based on the majority of TV viewing we'd be doing and purchased the 40".

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 30, 2010, 10:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I only wish more consumers actually knew and understood this. I got a good kick out of Quartron as its useless since it can't create any new colours we can see since we only have RGB colour/cone receptors in our eyes.
Good point - perhaps in a distant future when video is encoded in EGBY :D I'm sure there must be some extra processing in order to enable the use of the extra colour - and I'm wondering if this extra processing can actually cause an inferior image in some cases or affect the response rate.

Our good old CRT TVs that we all loved did R,G,B, why should we really care about this ? The majority of human beings on this earth barely distinguish the difference in colour nuances it will create unless you are an extra terrestial or have a well trained eye, but you'd be surprised how the majority of people who buy LCDs can't even tell or care :D

Mind you they could make an LCD TV with all 7 colours of the rainbow and use a video procssing to break the RGB components into 7 colours - they should have done that in the days of CRT and VHS LOL
right now ? it's pointless (pun intended!) :D
Old August 6, 2010, 08:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I went out to get a 32inch TV a couple of weeks ago because we're putting it in a smaller room. Went to futureshop and all the display sets that were 40inches and under were plugged into a very dirty standard def signal. All the bigger TVs were displaying off HDTV feeds or blu-rays. I asked if I could plug a HD source into one of the smaller sets to get an idea about the HD picture. He says no, and they tries to talk up this 46inch. I say fack this and leave. Go to Wal Mart and they have the same model there with a standard def source into it. I ask if I can see some HD on it. They get a blu-ray player no problem and plug it in. So Wal Mart got my money.

I'm sick of pressuring and underminding you get at Futureshop. I guess it's the commision.
Old August 11, 2010, 04:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
...any pixels goes bad in the screen they could remove them with "pixel tweezers" and have them replaced
Reminds me of the stories my dad used to tell of his working at the saw mill. They used to tell the new guys to go for things like a gallon of checkered paint or the "board stretcher".

@Full Speed, I hear ya. High pressure sales tactics work on my grandmother. Me, it just serves to me off.