Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Ubisoft DRM circumvented (theregister.uk ) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/31501-ubisoft-drm-circumvented-theregister-uk.html)

ZZLEE April 28, 2010 07:15 PM

Ubisoft DRM circumvented (theregister.uk )
 
Hackers crack Ubisoft always-online DRM controls ? The Register

DRM to dust :ph34r:

headsh0t April 28, 2010 11:37 PM

It's spelled "circumvented", and that's funny what Skid Row said. It's also true that it will get cracked everytime, I can't believe no game publisher has figured that out yet, especially even that Ubi thought it would really work for all their games in the future. Publishers just can't seem to understand you just need to make a GOOD game and people will buy it - at least on PC anyways. Of course people are going to pirate anyways because there is just scum that don't pay for anything anyways, but you make a quality product and you will get sales.

This is "old news" though, wasn't it cracked last week? :haha:

Thund3rball April 29, 2010 10:31 AM

I think AC2 IS a good game. I am playing it on PS3. It got rave reviews, was up for many GOTY awards and is pretty much unanimously regarded as a huge step forward from the first. Yet... pirates are hard at work cracking its DRM. Don't get me wrong I am not defending Ubisoft nor am I fond of DRM.. but the "just make a good game" argument is a very weak excuse for piracy.

MrDiaz April 29, 2010 10:42 AM

Old news :p

Zero82z April 29, 2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thund3rball (Post 370347)
I think AC2 IS a good game. I am playing it on PS3. It got rave reviews, was up for many GOTY awards and is pretty much unanimously regarded as a huge step forward from the first. Yet... pirates are hard at work cracking its DRM. Don't get me wrong I am not defending Ubisoft nor am I fond of DRM.. but the "just make a good game" argument is a very weak excuse for piracy.

Of course the DRM is going to be cracked. There will be piracy no matter how good the game is, how much it sells, or what kind of copy protection it has. The real question is whether or not the developer will make money off the game. If a game is to be successful, it has to be good. You can't stop piracy. What you can do is make sure that your game sells more copies by making it actually worth paying for.

There are pirates who will steal a game no matter what. There are fanboys who will buy the game no matter what. You can't sell anything to the first group. You don't have to try with the second. What developers and publishers have to focus on is the group of people who care enough to actually buy games if they turn out to be any good. The only thing DRM does is drive those people away.

belgolas April 29, 2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 370529)
Of course the DRM is going to be cracked. There will be piracy no matter how good the game is, how much it sells, or what kind of copy protection it has. The real question is whether or not the developer will make money off the game. If a game is to be successful, it has to be good. You can't stop piracy. What you can do is make sure that your game sells more copies by making it actually worth paying for.

There are pirates who will steal a game no matter what. There are fanboys who will buy the game no matter what. You can't sell anything to the first group. You don't have to try with the second. What developers and publishers have to focus on is the group of people who care enough to actually buy games if they turn out to be any good. The only thing DRM does is drive those people away.

That is sig worthy! Very well done post.

I still don't think I will buy this game even if I can fix it. The game shouldn't need fixing.

ipaine April 29, 2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 370248)
... Publishers just can't seem to understand you just need to make a GOOD game and people will buy it - at least on PC anyways. Of course people are going to pirate anyways because there is just scum that don't pay for anything anyways, but you make a quality product and you will get sales.


Actually I can think of one company that has, CD Projekt, the makers of The Witcher. Well I guess Atari was the publisher on this side of the Atlantic, but either way, they made a good game and it sold well. I believe they sold over 1.5 million copies, and they had only basic DRM. Then on their 1.5 patch they completely removed the DRM. And yet they still sell it, I wonder why? Oh yea, it is a good game.

That alone is proof that you don't need DRM to sell your games, you need to make good games.

rapmaster April 29, 2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipaine (Post 370642)
Actually I can think of one company that has, CD Projekt, the makers of The Witcher. Well I guess Atari was the publisher on this side of the Atlantic, but either way, they made a good game and it sold well. I believe they sold over 1.5 million copies, and they had only basic DRM. Then on their 1.5 patch they completely removed the DRM. And yet they still sell it, I wonder why? Oh yea, it is a good game.

That alone is proof that you don't need DRM to sell your games, you need to make good games.

and they gave great support after releasing the Witcher with the Enhanced Edition DLC for free. That's what make me brought the game.

Arinoth April 29, 2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 370529)
Of course the DRM is going to be cracked. There will be piracy no matter how good the game is, how much it sells, or what kind of copy protection it has. The real question is whether or not the developer will make money off the game. If a game is to be successful, it has to be good. You can't stop piracy. What you can do is make sure that your game sells more copies by making it actually worth paying for.

There are pirates who will steal a game no matter what. There are fanboys who will buy the game no matter what. You can't sell anything to the first group. You don't have to try with the second. What developers and publishers have to focus on is the group of people who care enough to actually buy games if they turn out to be any good. The only thing DRM does is drive those people away.

I agree with you there, if a game is worth it, i'll end up buying it since i want to support the publisher and show them that their game warranted me paying money for it. If the game isn't so spectacular or if i'm on the fence i'll try the demo or at a friends house to help me decide if its worth it or not.

Thund3rball April 29, 2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero82z (Post 370529)
Of course the DRM is going to be cracked. There will be piracy no matter how good the game is, how much it sells, or what kind of copy protection it has. The real question is whether or not the developer will make money off the game. If a game is to be successful, it has to be good. You can't stop piracy. What you can do is make sure that your game sells more copies by making it actually worth paying for.

There are pirates who will steal a game no matter what. There are fanboys who will buy the game no matter what. You can't sell anything to the first group. You don't have to try with the second. What developers and publishers have to focus on is the group of people who care enough to actually buy games if they turn out to be any good. The only thing DRM does is drive those people away.

I don't disagree with you, but looking at the numbers from a developer's or publisher's point of view... it's pretty hard to just ignore piracy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipaine (Post 370642)
Actually I can think of one company that has, CD Projekt, the makers of The Witcher. Well I guess Atari was the publisher on this side of the Atlantic, but either way, they made a good game and it sold well. I believe they sold over 1.5 million copies, and they had only basic DRM. Then on their 1.5 patch they completely removed the DRM. And yet they still sell it, I wonder why? Oh yea, it is a good game.

That alone is proof that you don't need DRM to sell your games, you need to make good games.

Basic DRM or not... they obviously felt it was necessary. And six months after its release, on just one torrent website (Mininova) The Witcher was being downloaded over 3,000 times per day. Multiply that by n torrent sites and factor in day 1 piracy as being much higher than that and ... well that's why PC games have DRM.

PC Gaming's Piracy "Sales" Charts - Piracy - Kotaku

Again, I don't agree with DRM nor am I buying any games with the new Ubi style DRM, but I do not blame game companies for DRM, I blame pirates. :blarg:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM.