Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default frozencpu in trouble because of bs u.s lawsuit [hard ocp]

Well like it says frozen cpu is just one of many on a short list that makes no sense to me or anyone at hardocp

U.S. Based Companies Sued For Heat Pipe CPU Coolers - U.S. Based Companies Sued For Heat Pipe CPU Coolers | [H]ard|OCP
Old April 9, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

I like how they only go after small fish.

I don't see Newegg mentioned in there, even though they are the largest retailer of computer hardware in the USA. I doubt this lawsuit will see a courtroom. There is a statue of limitations on patent infringement I believe 5 years or there abouts and I have a sneaking suspicion heat-pipes have been in use for much longer than that.

FronteirPC.com though is a Canadian Company? Though in the lawsuit it names FrontierPC.com out of Delware... strange that, maybe two different FrontierPC.com's?

Anyone can sue anyone at anytime for anything for a modest fee.

It doesn't necessarily mean they have a case.
Old April 9, 2010, 12:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Crap. I have built computers for folks with a heatpipe cooler in it. Time to check my mail.

What a load.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 9, 2010, 01:16 PM
Banned
F@H

wow. maybe the makers will see a brief appearance in court...wel lexcept thsoe based in china and such
Old April 9, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is retarded. Heatpipes have been in industrial use for cooling electronics for 20+ years.

Why don't they go after General Electric; they manufacture use them to cool pretty much everything they build. Hell there are heat pipes on the space shuttle for god sakes!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 9, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I read most of the patent and it appears to be referencing liquid cooling heatpipes (not normal air cooling, some sort of hybrid?). It also only talks about cooling PCB's, as [H] pointed out.
Old April 9, 2010, 02:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am SO tired of this patent bull. If these companies were so smart to patent something, why not USE their patent to actually make products? Then they get all mad at how other companies come up with the same thing except they actually follow through and successfully sell products.

And why are they going after resellers? If that company is so pissed off, go after the actual companies who are MAKING these products such as Coolermaster (I wouldn't mind seeing that company go down along with their shoddy products)!
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 9, 2010, 02:08 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post

And why are they going after resellers? If that company is so pissed off, go after the actual companies who are MAKING these products such as Coolermaster (I wouldn't mind seeing that company go down along with their shoddy products)!
Coolermaster can afford better lawyers. Small vendors can't.

It is very, very clear here that this has nothing to do with protecting a patent, but suing small companies to try to get them to settle and give away a portion of their profits as a 'license.'
Fold for team #54196
Old April 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What the hell, is a load of crap, but dont you love how you can sue for anything in the states. The 'american dream'.
Old April 9, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You guys should understand though, that the number one way to do business is lawsuits like this. Companies are constantly in court over IP and Patents... it's just the way the wonderful wannabe free marketeers want it.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.