Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   frozencpu in trouble because of bs u.s lawsuit [hard ocp] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/30835-frozencpu-trouble-because-bs-u-s-lawsuit-hard-ocp.html)

gingerbee April 9, 2010 12:29 PM

frozencpu in trouble because of bs u.s lawsuit [hard ocp]

Well like it says frozen cpu is just one of many on a short list that makes no sense to me or anyone at hardocp :blarg:

U.S. Based Companies Sued For Heat Pipe CPU Coolers - U.S. Based Companies Sued For Heat Pipe CPU Coolers | [H]ard|OCP

FiXT April 9, 2010 12:42 PM

I like how they only go after small fish.

I don't see Newegg mentioned in there, even though they are the largest retailer of computer hardware in the USA. I doubt this lawsuit will see a courtroom. There is a statue of limitations on patent infringement I believe 5 years or there abouts and I have a sneaking suspicion heat-pipes have been in use for much longer than that.

FronteirPC.com though is a Canadian Company? Though in the lawsuit it names FrontierPC.com out of Delware... strange that, maybe two different FrontierPC.com's?

Anyone can sue anyone at anytime for anything for a modest fee.

It doesn't necessarily mean they have a case.

chrisk April 9, 2010 12:57 PM

Crap. I have built computers for folks with a heatpipe cooler in it. Time to check my mail.

What a load.

_dangtx_ April 9, 2010 01:16 PM

wow. maybe the makers will see a brief appearance in court...wel lexcept thsoe based in china and such

encorp April 9, 2010 01:25 PM

This is retarded. Heatpipes have been in industrial use for cooling electronics for 20+ years.

Why don't they go after General Electric; they manufacture use them to cool pretty much everything they build. Hell there are heat pipes on the space shuttle for god sakes!

Sushi Warrior April 9, 2010 01:41 PM

I read most of the patent and it appears to be referencing liquid cooling heatpipes (not normal air cooling, some sort of hybrid?). It also only talks about cooling PCB's, as [H] pointed out.

Oversized Rooster April 9, 2010 02:05 PM

I am SO tired of this patent bull. If these companies were so smart to patent something, why not USE their patent to actually make products? Then they get all mad at how other companies come up with the same thing except they actually follow through and successfully sell products.

And why are they going after resellers? If that company is so pissed off, go after the actual companies who are MAKING these products such as Coolermaster (I wouldn't mind seeing that company go down along with their shoddy products)!

chrisk April 9, 2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster (Post 361233)

And why are they going after resellers? If that company is so pissed off, go after the actual companies who are MAKING these products such as Coolermaster (I wouldn't mind seeing that company go down along with their shoddy products)!

Coolermaster can afford better lawyers. Small vendors can't.

It is very, very clear here that this has nothing to do with protecting a patent, but suing small companies to try to get them to settle and give away a portion of their profits as a 'license.'

Arinoth April 9, 2010 02:17 PM

What the hell, is a load of crap, but dont you love how you can sue for anything in the states. The 'american dream'.

encorp April 9, 2010 03:56 PM

You guys should understand though, that the number one way to do business is lawsuits like this. Companies are constantly in court over IP and Patents... it's just the way the wonderful wannabe free marketeers want it.