Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Possible new Xbox 360 on the way? [HardOCP] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/29986-possible-new-xbox-360-way-hardocp.html)

CMetaphor March 17, 2010 08:42 AM

Possible new Xbox 360 on the way? [HardOCP]

[H]ard|OCP - New Xbox 360 "Slim" Motherboard Spy Pics&#63

I've stared at the pics for a few minutes and can note the following:
1 - It's mostly likely not fake from what I can tell = The IR receiver/LED Ring connector (second from the bottom right in the first picture) looks correct, and the positioning of the two Usb ports adjacent to it look correct as well. Since there are only two this may give legitimacy to the HardOCP's idea of it being a slim version.
2 - Although it may be photoshopped, "Microsoft Xbox 360" is labeled on the northbridge/southbridge.
3 - Power connector is also in the correct location and orientation seemingly, although the other ports have obviously been changed (S/Pdif optical out is now separate).
4 - There are two standard sata ports on the top left of the board. So either MS may finally be going to allow for user-upgradable hard drives (unlikely) or this is a dev board only meant for testing purposes.

What do you see?

Fudd Rucker March 17, 2010 08:58 AM

That would make sense that a new 360 system is coming out. Project Natale is supposed to launch this holiday season and I dont think the current 360 configurations are going to be up to par with the demands of natale. providing its as good as indicated.

Maybe thats where Larrabee went? LOL

CMetaphor March 17, 2010 09:01 AM

Don't think it's larrabee :haha: although it does seem to have an integrated gpu/cpu combo which is interesting... I wonder if it's still some sort of PowerPC/ATI combo or perhaps its a little AMD "Fusion" happening? Whatever it is, it looks interesting!

Fudd Rucker March 17, 2010 09:04 AM

I was thinking an ATI gpu intergrated as well, but I cant see AMD just handing those keys over to intel engineers.

Hunt March 17, 2010 09:16 AM

I'd love to see a slim version. PS3 was released after 360 and managed to get a slim version out pretty quickly.

I need a reason to upgrade from my first gen 360 which sounds like a 100hp hairdryer in my living room. :doh:

Full Speed March 17, 2010 09:18 AM

As long as it doesn't offer anything new and awesome I'm happy. Don't really want to buy another 360 yet.

Arinoth March 17, 2010 10:04 AM

Current 360 layout
http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/73C...inside1001.jpg

http://www.xbox360-hacks.com/images/xbox360_inside4.jpg

Notice how the OP image linked has all the connections in the back, which make no sense for a console

headsh0t March 17, 2010 11:36 AM

I can't image the GPU/CPU being integrated on the 360. And that could just be a temporary heatsink but they would not be using one like that if it was a slim. Could be real but I'm not really sure it is. I'll have to open up my 360 tonight and compare it to those pictures. The one sata port is for the DVD (or bluray if they will actually implement it like they said they would a couple of years ago, which would be funny cause they'd have to pay sony to use the technology, and I can't rememeber if there is actually a sata cable that connects to the 360 proprietary HDD?

CMetaphor March 17, 2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 348865)
I can't image the GPU/CPU being integrated on the 360. And that could just be a temporary heatsink but they would not be using one like that if it was a slim. Could be real but I'm not really sure it is. I'll have to open up my 360 tonight and compare it to those pictures. The one sata port is for the DVD (or bluray if they will actually implement it like they said they would a couple of years ago, which would be funny cause they'd have to pay sony to use the technology, and I can't rememeber if there is actually a sata cable that connects to the 360 proprietary HDD?

I agree that the heatsink is most likely temporary, i doubt coolermaster will get a contract to make every new 360 heatsink, but who knows? I've opened up my own 360 and from what i remember everything seems to be in the right place - but are right, there is a proprietary connector for the hard drive on the regular 360, which means as i said - theyre either going to break that pattern and allow for regular sata drives or its just a dev board... time will tell :thumb:

Skyllz March 17, 2010 12:11 PM

There is a SATA connector for the DVD and the HD inside the Xbox.

Looks legit to me.

No real need for USB connectors in the front since remotes are wireless and if you wire then, USB connectors at the back are ok. Makes for a cleaner from witht he DVD opening only.

I say it's legit. The xbox360 has been due for a long time for an Update.

It would also make sense since they unloaded a bazillion Arcade edition at 129.99 lately. MAking room for the "new" Xbox 360 revised model.