Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2010, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

As soon as ads don't effect my system performance and/or don't blind my eyes with seizure inducing material, I'll stop blocking ads.

also, relevant and non-mature (evony?) content.

I don't mind ads, I don't mind looking at them or having them occupy websapce space, and I completely understand the objective of advertising, but when the ads forceably (oh look, ANOTHER ad rolling into the middle of my screen!) interject into my daily life, that becomes unacceptable to me.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I run an ad blocker but I only block things when they pop up right in your face or horribly slow things down.
Old March 9, 2010, 07:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post

I have never bought anything online because of ads but I may have bought a pop or some gum because of ads at stores. All the ads about cars are not going to make me buy one.

I guess if your an uninformed person that only gets their "reviews" from ads then you may buy a lot because of ads but I think most people here research everything from toasters to headphones to cars to CPUs. So they are not that effective to us.
Ads usually have a low 2% rate of clicking and even less sales, but they are effective at creating the brand awareness. For example I didn't know G.Skill existed until I saw an ad on HWC, I've done some research and now all my PCs have G.Skill installed, but I didn't click on the ad.
Old March 9, 2010, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gskilllll...blllluuuue...prrrrrretttttty...mmmmmmm m...must buyyyyyyyy...

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 9, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

sswilson pretty much summed it up and artistpavel had the perfect point.

The PPC (pay-per-click) model isn't used that much anymore aside from Google and other "ad" vendors.

You can generally tell a PPC vs a PPM (views) because views are really only concerned about branding, not as much about selling you stuff. When you click these ads, they may take you somewhere to buy something, but often they are only concerned about you becoming familiar with their name and providing you information on themselves. As artistpavel noted, its not always a bad thing.

If you have ever clicked 90% of Google ads you will be take to a blog website or something else where they immediately try and shove sales down your throat.

The Google ads we do have are not for the money, trust me it would barely pay for the coffee because they don't get clicked. It is mainly to play the google ranking and search game. Hence the reason they aren't featured on a leaderboard and tucked underneath all the posts.

Guys keep in mind that the reviewers and administrators also browse and use this website. If there is an ad that hogs resources or is an eyesore we ask that it is changed because we don't want to see it.
I remember the G.Skill 100% CPU usage ad many are referencing. It was dealt with within a day

To those still stuck in the ad blocking way - be forewarned that the paid subscription model is slowly increasing its appeal to websites. Many news websites are moving to this slowly, and I suspect in a few years time you will have to fork out the dough to read some top level internet web content that was free before. Unfortunately technology websites are hit hardest because they attract the more computer savvy users who are familiar with ad blocking techniques.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but if these people have the freedom to create and display anything they feel like, then I should have the freedom to block it. This kind of ad campaigning wouldn't survive anywhere else. If you want to make some money off me... earn it! Produce content worth viewing, and I'll unblock your page and visit it more often.
That's the thing, by creating the website they ARE earning it. It takes work to design, build, and maintain ANY sort of website. If you are there reading or browsing it, clearly their content is worth viewing to you and the least you can do is support them for free without any out of cost charge to you.
I operate a few websites, one of which is a community forum for a hobby I pursue. It costs me upwards of $25/mo to keep it running. My ad revenue from 2 ads positions the website... approx .30cents/day if I am lucky.

Last edited by FiXT; March 9, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old March 9, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
Oh, really? Guess I'll have to test my luck with these new ads then. ABP gets uninstalled today, hopefully it doesn't have to come back.

I wouldn't uninstall it, just go over to the far right where the ABP "stopsign" is and whitelist HWC or whatever other (decent, clean) websites you use....
Old March 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
Banned
F@H

*hides adblock thing
Old March 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I wouldn't uninstall it, just go over to the far right where the ABP "stopsign" is and whitelist HWC or whatever other (decent, clean) websites you use....
Meh, I don't really go to any other sites that have ads. It's mostly HWC, Gmail, my clan's site and random other forums.
However, I haven't uninstalled it yet but did use the stop sign, once I accidentally clicked it last night and found out what it did.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 9, 2010, 02:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OK, I keep hitting a 5-10 second delay in Firefox 3.6, it's waiting for d1.openx.org. I'm assuming that's an external call for the top banner ad, because that's what pops up immediately after the wait.
Old March 9, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm actually curious - how much bandwidth do ads consume on a week by week (or other timeframe) basis? I know flash isn't the smallest thing in the world, but now that most of us are paying for limited bandwidth per month, i'm curious just how much bandwidth would be expended on advertising.

I know it probably wouldn't be too much (depending on average browsing usage, sites visited, etc), but is it insignificantly too little? anyone have stats?