Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Advanced Thermo-Electric Cooling( Peltier)

I have never heard of this before but my curiosity made me read about it, and now after reading it I am interested but that will be while yet. well anyway I quoted the first paragraph that caught my attention;

"A Peltier is a device which allows you to reach some insanely low CPU temperatures, even well below what the nicest water cooling setup can get you. Even with water cooling you are limited to whatever the ambient air temperature is where your computer resides since the heat in the water is being dissipated back into the air via your radiator. So letís assume you have heard the word Peltier before, and even if you haven't then lets tell you why you should care."
Looks good to me anyway here is the link Advanced Thermo-Electric Cooling
Old October 18, 2007, 11:14 AM
Allstar

The main reason why people ditch peltiers for phase is because TECs aren't very efficient and they only offer -20ļC temperatures when cooling a CPU on idle. Phase change offers way lower temperatures, and in my opinion, is cleaner and less ghetto than TECs.

Nice link nonetheless.
Old October 18, 2007, 11:41 AM
Misoprostol

TEC is not really practical with the heat output of modern CPUs. It's at the point where you'd need a couple dedicated PSUs and a couple PA series Thermochill rads to deal with a Pelt setup on a quad core :(
Old October 18, 2007, 12:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

CoolIt Freezone and Eliminator
I'm running my Q6600 @ 2.8ghz 30c idle with the Eliminator and it had my E6400 @ 3.2ghz 18c idle
The Freezone has 6 peltiers compared to 3 on the Eliminator and will reach zubzero temps
Old October 18, 2007, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
TEC is not really practical with the heat output of modern CPUs. It's at the point where you'd need a couple dedicated PSUs and a couple PA series Thermochill rads to deal with a Pelt setup on a quad core :(
well thats not good ( was going to say cool but )lol so I think that I will just stick with my air then go to WC