Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19, 2010, 01:05 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

My htpc and this work computer both have Win7 and only 1gb of ram and never get full.
Old February 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Having a car with a 220kph speedo that only does 140kph is the waste.
Old February 19, 2010, 02:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Having a car with a 220kph speedo that only does 140kph is the waste.
lol

Old February 19, 2010, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm i have windows 7 installed on my atom sega genesis machine, have only 2 gigs of ram and dont come close to using even 1 gig when i am running my emulator, or watching a movie or firefox so this article is rather crap. Also if windows 7 used as much ram as this guy claims folders wouldnt be able to go big adv work units since those in itself consume a good 4.5-5GB of ram on their own. On my main machine i am not going over 2 gigs running some basic programs right now (aka running winamp, trillian, firefox with multiple windows, steam, etc).
Old February 19, 2010, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

Default Search Indexing Maybe

I found Indexing to be the biggest resource hog in one way or another. I turned off Indexing on all drives and the Search Indexing function as well. My reasoning wasn't about Ram issues but instead Latency issues affecting smooth HTCP operation. I only have 3gigs of Ram and a HD3850 with 512Mb and I have never maxed out my Ram in Win 7, even playing Crysis.

I suspect that maybe these test system's are probably heavily fragmented with other issues.

Right now I am considering a RAID0 setup since my old Raptor 36Gb had to be replaced with 320 Gb single platters because Win 7 install is so much larger. I was surprised that these Sata1 Raptors were still faster than the Sata2 320's. I think Win 7 is slower with Read/Write also.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I swear to god enaberif loves playing devils advocate; as long as your not with the majority - you're happy.

Win7 rocks XP from here to hell and back. Get out of the dark ages. hahaha :P

Anyways, I just ran age of conan, bioshock 2, opened max instances of chrome AND mozilla, ran defrag and hdd scan on three drives and barely touched 40% of my memory.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 19, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I swear to god enaberif loves playing devils advocate; as long as your not with the majority - you're happy.

Win7 rocks XP from here to hell and back. Get out of the dark ages. hahaha :P

Anyways, I just ran age of conan, bioshock 2, opened max instances of chrome AND mozilla, ran defrag and hdd scan on three drives and barely touched 40% of my memory.
Devils advocate?

Its more of the fact nobody can give me ANY good reason to bother switching. I hate the new Aero.. DirectX11 hasn't been proven to be worthwhile... so what is there in Win7 that is so great? Seriously.

I mean DirectX 11 and Aero are the things that are SOOOO good.
Old February 19, 2010, 10:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Devils advocate?

Its more of the fact nobody can give me ANY good reason to bother switching. I hate the new Aero.. DirectX11 hasn't been proven to be worthwhile... so what is there in Win7 that is so great? Seriously.

I mean DirectX 11 and Aero are the things that are SOOOO good.

Depends on your preferences really, I'm finding it a bit more stable than XP and Vista and some of the navigation features are nice. Jumplists come to mind, as do controls on hover. There are reasons and they may not apply to you, but memory consumption is not a valid reason to eschew Win7.

Free memory is low but it's all cached so meh.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 64 BIT

If you are running 64 Bit though in more memory everything runs smoother and less lag. WIN 7 (64 BIT) still runs on 1 of my 2 GB sticks. This OS is very adaptable and it better at adapting.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I swear to god enaberif loves playing devils advocate
Nah, he just loves being a stubborn bastard .
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
so what is there in Win7 that is so great?
User interface.