Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   ATI H2 2010 "New Generation Graphics Processors" [Xbitlabs] (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/28149-ati-h2-2010-new-generation-graphics-processors-xbitlabs.html)

Bond007 January 24, 2010 07:40 PM

I wonder why ATI has not attempted to go after folders with their cards. Bottom line is that FPS per dollar is what many people are after. Even though I am not a computer gamer anymore (for now), if I was to buy a card tomorrow it would be based heavily on FPS / $, idle power consumption, and useful additional features. I do not fold, so that would not be a factor for me.

Hopefully the next generation of ATI cards will be competitive with Nvidia in areas other than FPS / $ and add on features. I feel that this "next generation" they are talking about in this article is just going to be the 5X90 versions of cards already released, but if GF100 is going to do more damage than an OC of current ATI cards can accommodate, maybe there is something else up their sleeve.

Bond007 January 25, 2010 04:35 PM

Some continued talk in this thread.

sswilson January 25, 2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 322709)
I wonder why ATI has not attempted to go after folders with their cards. Bottom line is that FPS per dollar is what many people are after. Even though I am not a computer gamer anymore (for now), if I was to buy a card tomorrow it would be based heavily on FPS / $, idle power consumption, and useful additional features. I do not fold, so that would not be a factor for me.

Hopefully the next generation of ATI cards will be competitive with Nvidia in areas other than FPS / $ and add on features. I feel that this "next generation" they are talking about in this article is just going to be the 5X90 versions of cards already released, but if GF100 is going to do more damage than an OC of current ATI cards can accommodate, maybe there is something else up their sleeve.

In all honesty this comes down to market share.... it may seem like everybody and their dog here on HWC is either folding or at least aware of FAH, and thus has a Nvidia bias, but in the real world, the folks who even know that FAH exists (let alone the difference between ATI & Nvidia cards for folding) are so small a percentage that it wouldn't make much money sense to put a lot of research into it. As enthusiasts we often have blinders on when it comes to hardware applications that the general public could care less about.

At this point in time, ATI is probably tickled pink to be able to put out cards that gamers want to purchase. (And Nvidia is probably tickled pink that at least enthusiasts are their current models specifically for folding).

That said.... somewhere down the line ATI is going to have to get it's :censored:it together when it comes to non-GFX specific applications for GPUs.... it does appear that using GPUs for more than just drawing pretty pictures is the wave of the future, and they wouldn't want to be left behind.

gatay January 25, 2010 10:18 PM

Hopefully the next generation of ATI cards will be competitive with Nvidia in areas other than FPS / $ and add on features.
I feel that this "next generation" they are talking about in this article is just going to be the 5X90 versions of cards already released
But if GF100 is going to do more damage than an OC of current ATI cards can accommodate, maybe there is something else up their sleeve.