Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default P55 Overclocking Showdown - ASUS, Gigabyte, and EVGA at the OC Corral

Great read

AnandTech: P55 Overclocking Showdown - ASUS, Gigabyte, and EVGA at the OC Corral
Old November 6, 2009, 02:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

All this lead up to this article and that's it? I'm shocked really.

I think we all saw this coming. Basically: all boards are made even for 99.99% of overclockers other than a few select samples.
Old November 6, 2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah you cant lose with any of the high end boards really. Comes down to the little things
Old November 6, 2009, 02:46 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
All this lead up to this article and that's it? I'm shocked really.

I think we all saw this coming. Basically: all boards are made even for 99.99% of overclockers other than a few select samples.

Hi,

I've known Zac for a while, so I don't think it'll hurt to respond :)

I don't recall hyping anything about this piece so am wondering why you are shocked. If you're talking about the socket failures, I can't post information I do not have.

With regards to the second line. Yes most of us do know it's fairly even on every board. Does not hurt to have a bit of a refresher every now and again though. Most platform OC reviews are monotonous as I'm sure we're all aware. Just wanted to show people that some of the big multiplexed phase hype does not really mean better OC. One thing I can't emphasize enough (you'd have to do it to experience it yourself to see what its worth) is that the E657 was far easier to work with under the cold, all the other boards had some kind of post up quirk.

later
Raja
Old November 6, 2009, 03:12 PM

Heya Raja, welcome to HWC. :) I really liked the page on RTL, quite useful.
Old November 6, 2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Hi,

I've known Zac for a while, so I don't think it'll hurt to respond :)

I don't recall hyping anything about this piece so am wondering why you are shocked. If you're talking about the socket failures, I can't post information I do not have.

With regards to the second line. Yes most of us do know it's fairly even on every board. Does not hurt to have a bit of a refresher every now and again though. Most platform OC reviews are monotonous as I'm sure we're all aware. Just wanted to show people that some of the big multiplexed phase hype does not really mean better OC. One thing I can't emphasize enough (you'd have to do it to experience it yourself to see what its worth) is that the E657 was far easier to work with under the cold, all the other boards had some kind of post up quirk.

later
Raja
I'm actually happy you responded.

I was just talking to a few folks the other day discussing what we all wanted to see in this roundup of yours. We were all really looking forward to it actually and it did live up to expectations to a certain extent. However, I do have a few questions for you:

- Memory overclocking. I know it has nadda to do with the mobos due to the IMC but did you find there was a large difference between your two 870s when it came to memory clocking. I have two 750ES samples and a single 750 retail sample. Do you find that the ES samples seem to have a very limited memory overclocking potential?

- I realized you have the higher-end boards in this roundup but are there plans to include mid-range boards as well? I know there have been several postings that you have over a dozen (or was it 20) P55 boards that you have been looking at. I am interested in seeing how the mid-range boards stack up.

I know I have some other points but those will have to wait.
Old November 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm actually happy you responded.

I was just talking to a few folks the other day discussing what we all wanted to see in this roundup of yours. We were all really looking forward to it actually and it did live up to expectations to a certain extent. However, I do have a few questions for you:

- Memory overclocking. I know it has nadda to do with the mobos due to the IMC but did you find there was a large difference between your two 870s when it came to memory clocking. I have two 750ES samples and a single 750 retail sample. Do you find that the ES samples seem to have a very limited memory overclocking potential?

- I realized you have the higher-end boards in this roundup but are there plans to include mid-range boards as well? I know there have been several postings that you have over a dozen (or was it 20) P55 boards that you have been looking at. I am interested in seeing how the mid-range boards stack up.

I know I have some other points but those will have to wait.
I think as always the IMC's on these CPU's vary from batch to batch. One of my 870's will bench over 2600 MHz at 1N command rate CAS 8 the rest hit around 2200-2400 under cold. I have not tested on air etc as that was not the idea for this particular piece.

The 20 or so boards are soemthing Gary was tackling. I'm not sure he had a complete round up coming for that lot.

To date my role has just been to do the enthusiast stuff only and focus more on heavier overclocking. That will all change at the end of the month when I take on the lower-mid stuff too. I think there is something in the piepline that Gary has been working on, I'm not sure on the specific boards myself at this point. WIth reagrds to memory, I'm looking at where I can squeeze in a review of the 2 memory test kits I recieved, but that may be tricky with the workload being what it is over the next few months. AGain al lot of the results I have from these kits are under cold conditions were the modules were chilled too. Those results are littered in some of the XS threads from a couple of months ago. The time in between that and now has been spent clocking P55 and getting peeved at the socket issues.

later
Raja

Last edited by Raja; November 6, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old November 6, 2009, 05:23 PM

Personally, I think a lot of the limitations we are seeing are due to the CPUs rather than the motherboards. I guess that also illustrates the problem most consumers have when choosing a motherboard; high end units will give them features but probably not much else since most of the overclocking headroom lies with the CPU / memory.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:08 PM

Surprised that we saw two eVGA boards, an ASUS, and a Gigabyte rather than trying to include boards from different manufacturers.

I'm particularly surprised not to see an MSI board in the show down after the very positive review of their GD65...

AnandTech: MSI P55-GD65 - Mid-Range P55 for the Masses

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old November 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Surprised that we saw two eVGA boards, an ASUS, and a Gigabyte rather than trying to include boards from different manufacturers.

I'm particularly surprised not to see an MSI board in the show down after the very positive review of their GD65...

AnandTech: MSI P55-GD65 - Mid-Range P55 for the Masses
The rap of MSI bad company support still runs rampant in the enthusiast circles. I dont care how far they've come, even if its 300% better, that still only means they've gone from 3% satisfaction to 9% .

Until MSI starts doing backflips for their customer base, the enthusiast crowd will stay far, far away.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about