Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default TheTechLounge reviews Linksys iPhone CIT300 dual-mode Internet telephony kit

"Rarely in the life of a tech enthusiast does a new gadget or technology come along that actually ends up saving us money. Most of the time we’re spending our hard earned cash on products that are new and exciting one minute, and then old, obsolete, and boring the next. While I’m sure the product we have for review today won’t be new and exciting forever, I’m fairly sure that it could save quite a few of us a substantial amount of money before it’s completely obsolete.

The product we’ll be taking a look at today is the iPhone CIT300 from Linksys. This isn’t just your simple everyday cordless phone though, because not only does it support your typical landline connection, but it’s also compatible with Skype. If you’re not familiar with Skype, it’s simply a Voice Over IP (VoIP) service that allows you to talk to other Skype users on the computer for free. The catch is that you both need to be at your computer in order to talk, using a microphone and speaker/headphone combination or a headset of some sort. While it’s great that you can make free PC-to-PC “calls” in this fashion, the obvious downside is that you’re tethered to your computer for the duration of the conversation. With the CIT300 cordless phone however, this is not the case since you can use it to access your Skype contacts and converse with them as if you were still seated at your computer.

There’s a lot more to the CIT300 and Skype, but before I get ahead of myself too much, let’s take a closer look at the unit itself…"

More @ The TechLounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 22, 2007, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you think about it-- it's reduiculous that the world is paying two seperate bills for phone and internet when the internet can do it all-- telephone service providers should have gone the way of the dodo by now, I just wish it would hurry up and become mainstream to talk over the internet.
Old January 22, 2007, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Everything will be over the net shows on demand, games, phones it's happening right now when you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton