Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2007, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Techgage reviews 2GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Edition dual channel kit

Welcome to Techgage's first DDR3 memory review, courtesy of OCZ. Up until now, we haven't seen much of a need to publish a slew of DDR3 reviews as it's slow to catch on, but we will begin publishing much more in the months to come, as it's beginning to become more popular among enthusiasts.
This is not to say that you should run out to pick up a kit though, simply because it's "catching on". As I have mentioned in previous articles, I see absolutely zero need to move to a DDR3 platform. It offers no immediate benefits, unless you run absolutely hardcore bandwidth hogging applications. As it stands, I have a hard enough time trying to push DDR2 to it's limit, let alone DDR3.
I consider myself to be a memory enthusiast, but when DDR3 launched, I felt no enthusiasm whatsoever. One reason might be the lack of overall performance gain, another might be the fact that it's ridiculously expensive. That said, it's up to you to decide whether DDR3 is for you. It -is- faster, but it's just a matter of pushing it the right way in order to notice the difference.
You could almost compare the current state of memory to cars. Corvettes cost far less than Ferraris, but still offer great performance. So much so, that you will likely never reach the 'Vettes full potential. So while the Ferrari is beautiful to look at and enthusiasts all look at it in awe, there comes a time when something is overkill. In this case, most Ferraris cost 3x as much as a nice Corvette, and likewise with DDR3 vs DDR2.
With all of my DDR3 rants out of the way, the fact is that DDR3 is faster and is the obvious choice of memory enthusiasts. While most companies released DDR3-1333 kits at launch, they quickly seemed obsolete with some overclocks that some were seeing, as high as DDR3-2000. So one thing is for sure, if you want a kit of ram that has loads of overclocking potential, most DDR3 kits will treat you well.

More @ TechGage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton