Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   AMD Quad Core @ $130 [Anand] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/23165-amd-quad-core-130-anand.html)

jcmaz September 16, 2009 08:04 AM

AMD Quad Core @ $130 [Anand]

Quote:

Today we get two models: the Athlon II X4 630 and the Athlon II X4 620, priced at $122 and $99 respectively. The only difference between the two is clock speed; the 630 runs at 2.8GHz while the 620 runs at 2.6GHz. These are both AM3 chips meaning they'll work in AM3 motherboards with DDR3 memory or AM2+ boards with DDR2 memory.

AnandTech: AMD Athlon II X4 620 & 630: The First $99 Quad Core CPU

Please Comment :)

NCIX.com - Buy AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad Core Processor Socket AM3 2.6GHZ 2MB Cache 95W Retail Box - ADX620WFGIBOX In Canada.

bojangles September 16, 2009 08:23 AM

Sweet price at $99 USD, but it's really only good for workstation environments. It's crippled in games because of no L3 cache.

SKYMTL September 16, 2009 08:48 AM

Wow. What will this do to the pricing of the rest of AMD's lineup?

Sagath September 16, 2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 256102)
Wow. What will this do to the pricing of the rest of AMD's lineup?

Nothing, it looks like. The benchies fit it in exactly where it is priced according to the anandtech article.

CMetaphor September 16, 2009 08:54 AM

I think this is a good move by AMD. The propus core may seem "underpowered" for gaming, but it isn't really all that bad. You have to remember that this is a very cheap quad-core, and can still be overclocked as well (albeit not as much or as easily as a Ph2).

Phobia September 16, 2009 09:02 AM

I think this is a great move. People who do not know much about computers will see a quad core for so cheap and go purchase it for a build

punk_zappa September 16, 2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 256108)
I think this is a great move. People who do not know much about computers will see a quad core for so cheap and go purchase it for a build

+1. People will walk into FS and BB, look for a computer, finds a cheap quad core system and buys it and could care less about L3 cache.

Caldezar September 16, 2009 11:57 AM

Benchmarks put this processor neck and neck with the X2 550BE. I'm curious if it would be worth going over to this processor as it's so cheap. I'd lose the L3, but gain 2 cores. And according to these charts, gaming performance is comparable. Both processors can be fairly easily O/C'd to the mid to high 3Ghz range. Opinions?

Silvgearx September 16, 2009 12:43 PM

bad move :rofl:

AMD pretty much just shaft everyone that has a 1-2 month dual core athlon II in there system :rofl:

to keep both new system buyers and enthusiast happy they really to make some better chips.

Like Caldezar those performance is quite interesting.

As for gaming a high overclocked cpu is still the better choice, until the day that every single application becomes muti thread but thats in the way way future :haha:

cdn_Madrach September 16, 2009 01:36 PM

Sounds like it might be a good chip for a HTPC.