Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the slumping dsktop and component market?
The slouch is temporary and due to the bad economy 14 25.45%
Consoles will be the death of us 15 27.27%
Laptops will be the death of us 16 29.09%
Zombies will be the death of us! 20 36.36%
Who cares if desktops fade away? 1 1.82%
The desktop and component market is fine 8 14.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2009, 09:03 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I can't either. I'll look stupid packing around this giant passive watercooling rad. Fek, my vid card is bigger than most laptops.

~unfolds 37" monitor at starbucks~
Old August 24, 2009, 10:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
~unfolds 37" monitor at starbucks~
That is something to see.

Old August 24, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

With the lack of any good titles available on the PC nor any real good ones coming out anytime soon I really wonder what the point of having a desktop really is.

It used to be you would want the best and biggest to play all those cool games but I mean I remember when I had a pentium 4 with a 7900 GT and couldn't play Bioshock then when I got my e6600 and my 8800GT and played Bioshock I got bored of it quickly because even tho the eyecandy was better the game play was still the same.

And while a large amount of games may be coming out like the new iD and Bioshock 2, the real question is how long can anyone really sit to play through them?

So as of late I've really contemplated about turning my desktop into nothing more than a fileserver and the ability to game but really look into a 15" notebook for most of my general needs.
Old August 25, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If software wasn't so shitty then we would actually have a need for new hardware. If software developers actually too advantage of using the entire GPU and CPU to their full potential, then people would realize, "Oh shiz, I need a new desktop to play this game." The problem though, is that nobody has either the money and doesn't want a desktop when they already have a laptop. Therefore, they suffice with a console where they can hook it up to and HDTV and enjoy 1080p gaming, for most hit titles. People aren't going to buy an insane rig when they can have a console and connect a budget laptop that can play 1080p content. It just doesn't make sense for the user to actually have all that power.

I think we've hit a road block in terms of gaining more performance out of our silicon technology, which means that there really isn't a point of going for the best of the best. I can tell you right now that I will not need to upgrade my i7 rig for a long time. Software developers are too lazy to take full advantage of the hardware because in the end it's just going to be another console port, a money saver, which is basically DirectX 9. Where's my games for DirectX 10 when I paid for that kind of hardware two years ago? I don't really see anyone making games with it. Well, that's because developers are again too lazy to learn. I'm done spending money on my rig, other than an SSD or two when they get cheaper.

There really is no way to bring the PC back to it's healthy state again so we're just going to have to deal with it and do what everyone else is eventually. Consider your decked out rig a luxury than a necessity or even a want. People like small, which is why the iPhone and netbooks are so popular and they're on a tight budget. I, however, will never buy a FPS shooter until keyboard and mouse are compatible for the consoles. Yeah, you can type IMs on the Xbox and stuff, but you can't play games with it unless you hack a controller.

/end rant
Old August 25, 2009, 05:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
You are speaking as a gamer and enthusiast Barbarossa. The workplace desktop market is just fine. And as long as takes a few bios tweaks and unlocks, the overclock/enthusiast market will be fine too.
Yes exactly- as I said in the OP, I wanted to "see what kind of insight people had to offer on what the shrinking desktop and desktop component market is having on our hobby." meaning overclocking/hardware enthusiast.

Regardless, the workplace desktop market continues to shrink as well- I think there will always be a niche for workplace desktops though, since the need for ergonomics requires a larger monitor, docking station, full sized keyboard etc etc, for each workplace laptop, which makes the desktop cheaper- that still doesn't change the fact that more and more companies are switching to laptops- our company doesn't have any desktops anymore.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; August 25, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Full size monitors and keyboards won't go away, but I don't mind if the actual desktop will shrink to a smaller form factor, that box hasn't changed in 20 years. 22nm processors probably won't require large heatsinks for overclocking.
Old August 25, 2009, 01:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Regardless, the workplace desktop market continues to shrink as well- I think there will always be a niche for workplace desktops though,
Workplace desktop will be ok and as you said, it will have it's own niche. We might not see a new socket, a new GPU, for a while, if this trend continues. By ignoring the PC enthusiast market, game developers doesn't see the effect it wil bring by doing so. It is more than the end user that will be affected but manufacturers as well. The smaller motherboard makers like Jetway might become extinct not long from now. How about the awesome LianLi, Cooler Master or Silverstone if they have less market for their products?

It sucks but unless that Intel, AMD, Asus whoever else can pull weight, things might get slower after i5's release.

Old August 25, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the software developers can't make top of the line software, what's the point for Intel/AMD/Sun/others to develop hardware for it? Makes sense to me. It would be a waste of resources to be honest.
Old August 25, 2009, 06:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
Workplace desktop will be ok and as you said, it will have it's own niche. We might not see a new socket, a new GPU, for a while, if this trend continues. By ignoring the PC enthusiast market, game developers doesn't see the effect it wil bring by doing so. It is more than the end user that will be affected but manufacturers as well. The smaller motherboard makers like Jetway might become extinct not long from now. How about the awesome LianLi, Cooler Master or Silverstone if they have less market for their products?

It sucks but unless that Intel, AMD, Asus whoever else can pull weight, things might get slower after i5's release.
I think once virtualization matures a little bit more, many organizations will move back to terminals as opposed to desktop workstations. You will see fewer full-power PCs in workplaces.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 30, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
will never buy a FPS shooter until keyboard and mouse are compatible for the consoles.
Well then you better start buying FPSes for your 360/PS3:

IGN: SplitFish FragFX PS3 Review

IGN: Team Xtender XFPS Review