Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default PC Power Consumption Analysis

PC Power Consumption: How Many Watts Do We Need? (X-Bit)

You see these articles every now and then, but here's one with some more recent components, and some better measurements than just a simple wall outlet measurement. Shame they didn't investigate overclocking, but the results are still worth considering next time you're in the market for a PSU.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:17 PM
Allstar

I'm surprised how low the power consumption really is when measured from the PSU. I wonder what SKY has to say about their testing methodology.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Interesting. Unfortunately, I can't comment since I have no idea about the accuracy of their circuit board + software.
Old June 8, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Interesting. Unfortunately, I can't comment since I have no idea about the accuracy of their circuit board + software.
I understand that and I respect it, but how likely would it be that a system like the gaming computer would work without any hassle on a reputable 300W PSU ?
Old June 8, 2009, 05:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
I understand that and I respect it, but how likely would it be that a system like the gaming computer would work without any hassle on a reputable 300W PSU ?
Not likely. We can't forget that all of that 300W is not dedicated to the 12V rails.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And Running a Lower Wattage PSU at or near its Peak output means its going to Run Hot.
That will end the life of a PSU faster.
Thats why its better to create a nice buffer for what you need, prolonging the life.
My thoughts at least,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 8, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I call it ..... well, whatever... I just got one of those EM100's from Canadian Tire. While folding on one core of the CPU(E6850) and having three other instances running on a 9800GX2 and a 8600GT, the average wattage it pulls from the socket is 355W. This while folding a 905(CPU), an 1888 + 511 on the GX2 and another 511 on the 8600GT. Have a few USB devices and a few fans attached. So far the peak wattage did not reach the 400W and the Amperage did not go over 3.4A(???)

My rig runs on a Corsair 750TX? Do I really need it? Nah.... but it sure fine to know that I have that little extra! Now I'm gonna find a way to see how high I can go!
Old June 8, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
And Running a Lower Wattage PSU at or near its Peak output means its going to Run Hot.
That will end the life of a PSU faster.
Thats why its better to create a nice buffer for what you need, prolonging the life.
My thoughts at least,

ST
Some buffer is always good, as is the quieter operation, but there are definitely diminishing returns from that approach. And there are still way too many people suggesting 750/850W PSU's for people building that "$300 computer".

Even the efficiency argument doesn't really hold true, since under the latest 80+ guidelines, PSU's can only give up a few points of efficiency at the 20% and 80% load points.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:05 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Should I once again post Behemoth power cosumption numbers? Not to be sarcastic or showoff-ish, but Behemoth draws around 900w peak from the wall, measured by a Kill-A-Watt meter (thats about 8.5 to 9 Amps). So for all those fellas wondering if their 850w or 1000w PSUs are enough... Trust me, they are!
Old June 8, 2009, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Some buffer is always good, as is the quieter operation, but there are definitely diminishing returns from that approach. And there are still way too many people suggesting 750/850W PSU's for people building that "$300 computer".

Even the efficiency argument doesn't really hold true, since under the latest 80+ guidelines, PSU's can only give up a few points of efficiency at the 20% and 80% load points.

True, but the Higher end units do tend to get much better Internals. And that is what I am always aiming for. It is all subjective until we start opening these things up and having a look at whats inside.

But you are right, for a 300 computer, you don't need a TX750 sitting inside it.

@CM - your....monster....scares me *hides*

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com