Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
Rookie

So if you want to compare I5 750 with Q9550 you need to disable it or enable it and overclock the Q9550... Am I right? Then I think the review is not irrelevant, It's fair...
Old September 12, 2009, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolabinne View Post
And if you overclock a Q9550, will you have the same effect as turbo boost? As I understand it, unabling turbo boost overclock the i5 chip when needed... Is that right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Turbo boost is a fancy word for auto-overclocking depending on the demand on cores. But then again it also shuts off un-needed cores I think....

I think the biggest 'up' about Lynnfield keeps getting pushed aside because everyone that reads this and every other review site is one thing: An Enthusiast!

Think about this processor from the common shoppers view, or from a Schools view. Someone who does NO overclocking but still needs some horsepower. My dad does tonnes of photo-editing with 'shop. He would highly benefit from a i5 750 and its auto-overclocking. So would schools in similar situations. Now start to think about the benefits of Lynnfield vs older tech.

The overclocking feature is totally 100% valid. The arguments you hear across the net right now about benchmarks needing to turn it off and such are just enthusiasts trying (as we always do) to get the best bang/buck performance. Both viewpoints are totally valid. If 'we' dont like the performance, then thats fine, we'll get the CPU that has better performance. But the common man? This feature absolutely rocks.

My dad is going to love a sub-500 upgrade that cuts his 'shop time in half. Stock. And he doesnt have to do anything to get the benefits of the 'overclocking'.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 12, 2009, 07:29 AM
Rookie

That is a good argument that I agree with, but you must also consider that most of 775 motherboard have a simple auto overclocking tool that not work as well as turbo boost but can be easily configured.

Is it really honest not saying "Note that this CPU overclock itself and you can have about the same performance if you overclock the one you already have". The french review I suggest reading is the only one I saw to date that test these CPUs this way: without overclocking.

I think the reader of HWC could be consider "Enthusiast" an deserve complete review including comparision of overclocked for overclocked test or stock for stock. Sometimes these test already exist since the CPUs have been reviewed before. I know i can refer to them but why not note it somewhere in text?

Anyway I love HWC and will continue to read it. It's my favorite english speaking site.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:05 PM
Rookie

Default Intel Core i5 750 review InsideHW

"When we already mentioned overclocking, we should inform you that our sample managed to reach 4GHz at 1.26V, which is nice result. So, bottom line is: if you already have an Core 2 Quad (Q9550 for example) transition to new platform is not necessary, but if you plan to purchase new rig based on quad core CPU, than Core i5 is best choice with its price rag around 200€." .

InsideHW - Intel Core i5 750