Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default AMD Phenom II X4 955 Liquid Helium (LHe) Overclocking Event

AMD recently held a small overclocking event at their Austin facility, where they invited three North American overclockers to push the new AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor to its limits.

"Last week AMD organized a small overclocking event for a group of overclockers from North America. Hosted at AMD's facility in Austin, Texas, the event was arranged to match competitive overclockers with the best silicon coming out of AMD's fabs in hopes of breaking some records and possibly hitting 7GHz. AMD invited three overclockers, Vince Lucido aka K|ngp|n, Brian McLachlan aka chew*, and Chris Morrell, aka Gomeler. On hand to answer questions and make sure things went smoothly were Peter Hardman and Simon Solotko of AMD. The overclocking went from Wednesday through Friday night with necessary breaks taken to keep the benchers for passing out on their feet."

Click here to read the full article over at Legit Reviews.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

WOW they almost hit 7GHZ with Liquid helium. Pretty impressive results for sure. How does this equate to us lowly overclockers?, well I think that overclocking to 4 maybe even 5 ghz with a good watercooling setup should be a routine affair with these chips. I personally wouldn't have the courage to try something like that I'd be happy with a 30 percent increase in performance.

Time to start saving for this new chip. Currently retailing at a respectable 310 dollars at NCIX.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old May 25, 2009, 08:31 PM
Top Prospect

Phenoms are especially deceptive for their highclocks under cold translating to air/ water results.

4 ghz phenom II are still not common.

Core i7 clock better under air/water but only get up to 5.6-5.8
Phenom II clock worse under air/water but get up to 6.8 under lHe.

If your anyone but a sponsored bencher, AMD superclocked chips mean nothing to the average person.

Considering the clocks at those speed, one might interpolate that 5ghz was possible under water. But Heck no. Here is some people who are overclocking phenom II.
Phenom II Overclocking

Last edited by sheepdogexpress; May 25, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

yeah, correlating even LN2 benching to air/water results is a 100% mistake...Intel or AMD.

Intel does scale in a more linear fashion from air > water > sub-zero...but 24/7 clocks can't be related to sub zero benching. think of the sub-zero benching as the same as F1 or Nascar is to your every day car. sure the logo on the hood of the car on the track still says Dodge or Toyota, but it has less than 0.01% to do with the Dodge's or Toyota's on the street. sub-zero benching is for advertising...nothing more than marketing and R&D, like professional racing series are for the automotive industry.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Good to know, looks like I may have been a little bit to generous with my estimations. Still I don't think that a stable OC at 4GHZ is out of the question, maybe not on air but with WC setup. Maybe I'll do a little more research before adding this chip to my wish list. Thanks for setting me straight lads.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old May 26, 2009, 05:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I sure wouldn't mind having a chip running at 6892 mhz... nice job

At $5/liter, I hope that didn't take all day
Old June 17, 2009, 01:16 PM
Top Prospect

My god
Old July 7, 2009, 06:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
sub-zero benching is for advertising...nothing more than marketing and R&D, like professional racing series are for the automotive industry.

You forgot something... its also fun Some people are not sponsored, and drop loads of money for benching purposes only. Ever heard of xtremesystems ?
Old July 7, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dope_chaud View Post

You forgot something... its also fun Some people are not sponsored, and drop loads of money for benching purposes only. Ever heard of xtremesystems ?
we were discussing benching from a corporate standpoint, not a personal one. and yes, i've heard of Xstremesystems, just do a search for my username over there, i've posted a couple times
Old July 7, 2009, 10:12 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

3oh6 you are so humble.........I would have pulled the "do you know who I am?" routine.

Anyways cool article but I'll stick to Intel!