Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2007, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Hardware Upgrade's 11 kit DDR2 memory overclocking roundup

"The last few months havenít seen many large changes in the memory market other than confirming the change in standards from DDR to DDR2, a large part of which can be accredited to the AM2 launch which had both Intel and AMD supporting a unified memory solution again. The popularity of Core 2 chips among enthusiasts has also greatly spurred the popularity of DDR2 because it is the only memory standard compatible with the, as of right now, performance-crown-holding processors.

Using DDR2 as the new unified memory solution means that memory manufacturers can begin focusing on one technology instead of two. In other words, DDR2 memory has become the point of emphasis for pretty much all memory manufacturers. As a result of this, memory manufacturers are following a market trend that we have seen in the past and will most likely see again in the future with DDR3. It is a market trend that pretty much always develops with the introduction of a new memory standard: manufacturers begin aggressively looking for ways to increase the clock frequency of their products while simultaneously implementing tighter timings.

In this article we have intentionally limited ourselves to analyzing the overclocking performance of only two categories of DDR2 memory. The modules we are testing are all classified as DDR2-667 (PC2-5400) and DDR2-800 (PC2-6400). For the article, we chose only memory which fit into a price range available to a large majority customers. Although DDR2-1100 kits might look appealing, the truth of the matter is that they are generally in a price range that makes them suitable to a small portion of consumers. In other words, only a few people can actually afford them."

More @ Hardware Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 3, 2007, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Surprising how mediochre mushkin is, given the amount of lip-service it gets. I wish I saw this before I bought my ram (OCZ), although next time I'm going for 1066MHz ram
Old January 3, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Duly noted,Note to self more roundup's in the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton