Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2007, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Review of the EVGA 680i by TechGage

Rob Williams of TechGage has reviewed the evga 680i which he has been using for the last few months. In the end he gives it a 7/10 which is on the on the low-end of the review ratings I've seen this board given. Rob's main gripes were a lack of overclockability (only 450FSB) and the fact that the ASUS P5K outperformed it in benchmarks. I should point out that I often operate my board at 480MHz FSB for benchmarks (which is CPU limited, not board limited), which shows the variability that can be found from one unit to the next.

Of course what most will care about though is performance, and this is where the 680i fell short. Granted, it primarily fell short to the P35 boards, which were released long after this board was. Compared to the Intel XBX2, it performed well. The downside for this board is that the ASUS P5K DDR2 board performed better in almost all of the tests.
But how about when prices come into play? Perusing a popular e-tailer's site, the ASUS P5K Deluxe board retails for $225, while the eVGA 680i retails for around $210. Despite the slight savings, I would still jump at the P5K quicker as it proved better performance and also allowed a higher FSB overclock.
That's not to say that the 680i is a bad board, it's far from it. Had I reviewed it months ago, it could have been a different story. The biggest gripe I had was with lack of overclocking ability, but the P27 BIOS patched up a lot of the issues there.
If you are an eVGA fan and want their board, then you will not be that disappointed with the 680i as long as you are not looking for extreme CPU overclocks and a slew of board extras.

More from TechGage

If you need a case to hold your new 680i, then check out TechGage's recent reviews of two very capable ones: the Antec p182 mid-tower and the Tagan A+ Black pearl full tower.