Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2007, 10:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default So the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX, eh?

the amount of recent buzz surrounding this cooler has been quite surprising. Anandtech decides to take a colser look to see if it's truly deserving. In short, no. They conclude that the tower style coolers are still king- and personally, I would worry about the weight of a cooler like this torquing down on your board. I'm not saying that Anadtech id the be-all and end-all, but they're probably close

More from Anandtech
Old June 9, 2007, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

thank god.. I absolutely detest and HATE that cooler.
Old June 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

the new model is a lot better than the old one that uses a backing plate (although i omit it on mine sometimes).

I have a bunch of the older ones and they work great for oc'ing as long as you take the anaemic tt fan off and put a decent one on, or add another on top of it. Part of the reason they work well for me is that they are on caseless rigs so the extra mobo/NB cooling from them is good.

suprisingly tho, my fav these days is the AF 7 ... i even have a couple of overclocked x3210's running with it although they are the ones that oc well on low V. One is running with an upgraded fan on a 6600 at 3.5.

I do tend to stress my cooling since every rig is oc'ed and folding @100% 724. But the convenience of the intel hsf style mounting on them is very nice especially if you do much cpu swapping.

Last edited by pscout; June 9, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old June 9, 2007, 03:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
thank god.. I absolutely detest and HATE that cooler.

lol, i asked you before to elaborate on this comment and you did not. i'll suggest you don't make comments you aren't willing to back up.

as for hating a cpu cooler, maybe you should do something better with all that time on your hands.

as to the original topic, i'm glad anandtech reviewed it because i was on the fence whether to replace mine with a ultra extreme. now i will replace it for sure. my bt will work quite nicely in my new htpc.
2 x Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
2 x WD1500ADFD RAID 0
4 x WD5000AAKS RAID 0+1
Tt Armor Aluminum Tower
Enermax Galaxy 1000W DXX
DELL 2405FPW, 1905FPW