Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2009, 07:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default eVGA GTS 250 review

Thought I would put this on here, did not see one yet on our site yet.

Nvidia's GeForce GTS 250 graphics card - The Tech Report - Page 1
Old March 8, 2009, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like what the 9800GTX should've been (More video RAM... )
Old March 8, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think this sums it up nicely.

Quote:
All of which leads us to the inevitable price and performance comparison, and here, the GeForce GTS 250 offers a reasonably compelling proposition. This card replicates the functionality of the GeForce 9800 GTX+ in a smaller physical size, with substantially less power draw, at a lower cost. I like the move to 1GB of RAM, if only for the sake of future-proofing and keeping the door open to an SLI upgrade that scales well. In the majority of our tests, the GeForce GTS 250 proved faster than the Radeon HD 4850 1GB, if only slightly so. If the Radeon HD 4850 1GB were to stay at current prices, the GTS 250 would be the clear value leader in this segment.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 8, 2009, 10:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

What I can tell you is this: that is not an EVGA card. Basically it is an Nvidia ES which lacks even a basic HDTV video out. In addition, ALL EVGA GTS 250 cards will have a BLACK PCB.

This BS is why we did not post a review of this card at launch; because NONE of the EVGA cards which were reviewed will actually be available to customers.
Old March 8, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just another way to milk the cow really. All this rebranding is really ticking me off. Nothing innovative here. The only reason we see this rebranding is because they have nothing new to offer in terms of technology, because nVidia feels that they shouldn't go DX10.1 or improve on their hardware. OOOOOoo a die size drop...I could really care less at this point in the game. We've had these cards out for a while, and again we're at the same thing in a different series of cards. I feel like I'm in an endless spiral of doom. 8800GTS to 9800GTX to GTS250...wtf?
Old March 8, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nvidia and there stupid rebrand , and there pricing for rebranding is not really any cheaper than the original.
Old March 8, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't really see what all the "cursing" is about...honestly..nVidia has been going about this "Marketing" for years...either get used to it and do your "homework" prior to purchasing your Card or buy an ATI product with a "simple" naming scheme....really..who cares about the name, its the Memory / Bandwidth / Cores / shaders yada yada yada that matter. We all know that on the high end GPU's the "pecking order is something like this" 260 / 260 Core 216 / 260 Core 216 55 nm / 280 / 285 / 295 and low and behold in a few more months will be a 3xx Series.
Relax and enjoy all that is offered, if you're purchasing mid-stream Cards...do your homework....geessh...its a friggin GPU..thats it.
Old March 8, 2009, 08:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
What I can tell you is this: that is not an EVGA card. Basically it is an Nvidia ES which lacks even a basic HDTV video out. In addition, ALL EVGA GTS 250 cards will have a BLACK PCB.

This BS is why we did not post a review of this card at launch; because NONE of the EVGA cards which were reviewed will actually be available to customers.
Looks like Anandtech also got an ES too: AnandTech: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250: A Rebadged 9800 GTX+

They mention in the article that they did not get a card either, and that Charlie's Inq story might have had something to do with them getting a card.

@Rjbarker: Yup I agree with the 'anger' about the renaming. Actually, I don't mind if they can get the cards shorter and cooler. The only thing about this launch I don't like is that nVidia was handpicking reviewers/telling suppliers to only give review samples to reviewers who talked up Physx and Cuda. They seem to be pushing that boundary between favourable reviews and dishonest ones a little too much IMO..
Fold for team #54196
Old March 8, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
The only thing about this launch I don't like is that nVidia was handpicking reviewers/telling suppliers to only give review samples to reviewers who talked up Physx and Cuda. They seem to be pushing that boundary between favourable reviews and dishonest ones a little too much IMO..
Huh...sounds way beyond my scope...bordering "political".....aaaahhhhhh...its a conspiracy !! :)
Old March 9, 2009, 06:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I actually have a retail EVGA card on the way.

To be honest with you guys, I didn't really push for a sample for launch due to the simple fact that there wasn't a single retail card available other than the Palit model. If I can't review what you guys will be able to buy, there is next to no point in us actually spending the time on an article. At least that is the way I think about it...