Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Default HWC: Sony Vaio P Lifestyle Pocket PC - Our First Impressions

Quick news for folks interested in the Sony Vaio P Lifestyle Pocket PC

We have released a YouTube only video run down on the basics of the unit as well as our first impressions.

We are testing the waters with some unscripted and relatively unedited videos of some of the latest products to hit the Tech Market. For hot new products that don't need a full run down or aren't requested for review, we want to get the basic information out to the web - via video - on exactly what people can expect from these new toys, and we want it out fast.

These are not intended to be time consuming "professional" (I use the term loosely) production or a detailed review. We think of it more as a step up from the viral hand cam unboxing videos.

We would like to release more of these in the future and would really appreciate your thoughts, what needs changing, what you liked, and what kind of products would you like to see in the future?

They will not be featured on Hardware Canucks so make sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel to receive updates - Also there is an HD version. Click the link at the top of the video to get to YouTube

YouTube - HWC: Sony Vaio P Series Notebook - First Impressions

P.S. Don't hold your breath waiting for me to show you things later
Old February 26, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thats pretty much perfect. Probably covers everything 99% of people out there wants to know. And thank god you used a tripod... I cant stand the videos out there when people are holding their friggin cameras....

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to the wonderful world of overpriced Sony.

Sorry I'd rather save a considerable amount of money and but something more reasonably priced.

I don't even consider this a netbook.. I consider it a pocket organizer.

But good video.
Old February 26, 2009, 06:42 PM
Rookie

Great video and review. I would have to say for that price I would be better off buying a small sized regular laptop.
Coolermaster Extreme Power 550w
2X EVGA 9600GT SLI
2X Seagate 500GB HDD
1X Seagate 320GB HDD
2X LG 18X DVD Burner
Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW
Old February 26, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Well I didn't want to burn any bridges by saying that it is an overpriced..... - but in a nutshell, yes.

HOWEVER. It only Weighs 1.4lbs. It is very lightweight and quite literally has THE BEST keyboard of any netbook sized device. A close second would be the HP Mini Note. But the spacing on the Vaio is a little bigger so you don't double tap keys.

Also (though not on all models) It does have the 3G capabilities, which is pretty cool. Not on the Canadian models though as you can only pair it with Verizon Wireless service.

I think had they made it touch screen - more of a tablet device, especially with that beautiful a screen, it would have hit the big time and be a serious contender.
As it stands it caters to a very niche market - which I see as the traveler. You won't find many other devices with this type of power in this small a unit.

For those who want a bit of humour:
(Coarse Language - May not be suitable for younger audiences)

YouTube - Sony Releases Stupid Piece Of Shit That Doesn't ******* Work

Last edited by FiXT; February 26, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old February 26, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great video, really.. I can't think of much else you could've added to that other than what is the battery life like? Unless you did say that and I somehow missed it.

Seems a bit pricey... but has much more respectable specs than all the other netbooks, so that's expected...

EDIT: And oh yeah, that video
Old February 26, 2009, 08:59 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Doh! Battery life!
In all honesty - the video was originally like 8 minutes long which was waaaayy to long. Hell, even I got bored, So it got chopped to get rid of a lot of the random musings and opinions - As evident, it took a few things with it :P We will work on streamlining the shows to incorporate the necessities, while still being time conscious

Battery life is "claimed" at 4hours with the stock 2 Cell battery.
Doing my simple battery test. Operating with WiFi on and screen at half brightness, the battery last 2 hours 9 minutes.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Overall it is a great piece of hardware, but for the price of what you get, it's not worth it. $600 would be the maximum I would pay. However, I'm actually looking for an actual laptop at this moment so this wouldn't suffice.

Nice little sneak peek!
Old March 23, 2009, 03:23 AM
Top Prospect

Is there a possibility of installing Windows XP on this?
Cos with XP this thing would be pretty good.
I think Vista is really unsuitable for the hardware that they've put in this Vaio.
Noctua NHD14 140mm air cooler
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.1
4GB G.SKILL PC2-8500 1066 Mhz (5-5-5-15)
Zotac GTX 480
Corsair HX620 modular 620W
Intel X25-m SSD + WD Caviar 640gb + 500 gb
Silverstone TJ-10 B w/ Window
HP 2709M and LNA40a530
Old March 23, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm sorry but they are missing the boat here, 900-1500 with those drives??? thats not a subnote price at all. I think I'll stick with my EEE 1000