Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2006, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Digit-Life on Foxconn GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB and the analysis of coverage sampling AA

"I wonder how many readers notice that 3D graphics has been evolving in distinct discrete jumps of late? Are there readers who evaluate the quality of video cards' algorithms before their performance?

If there are, they had a little holiday to celebrate on November 8: NVIDIA presented two video cards based on the new G80 chip. Our baseline review of this video card mentioned that G80 was so finetuned for future tasks that it actually couldn't reveal its full potential in modern applications. We can partially blame the lack of API DirectX 10, drivers, and certainly applications that use this API.

Almost the only way to test a new video card and evaluate its real performance in these conditions is to use high resolutions and maximum levels of anisotropic filtering and antialiasing in old games for DirectX9.

While the situation with anisotropic filtering in G80 is clear (G80 offers the best quality of anisotropic filtering among present-day GPUs, its silicon implementation is so good that you can safely force AF 16x in the driver and forget about blurred textures, noises, and other artifacts of low-quality filtering without losing much performance), the new type of antialiasing definitely needs to be analyzed.

That's what we are going to do in this article."

More @ Digit-Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton