Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2007, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Why the console war is over: OCModShop

Trisha Oliver from OCModShop makes the point that the console war was over before PS2 ever came on the market.

Console "war" is an extreme overstatement
People ask me about the "
console war" all the time. "So, what do you think the best system is an why?" "Which consoles are people buying the most?" "When will the rush be over?" Let me get this off my chest: There is no console war. There may have been a spike in competition between the three systems (Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and Sony PS3), but now it is over. I'm not talking about which system is the best, I'm talking about overall demand lately. Who emerged the victor? Why the Nintendo Wii of course, and here is why: .......

......Regardless of who has the better technology, the better price-point, or better games, parents and children alike can't get enough of Nintendo. If it wasn't the Wii, it was the DS and GBA. Hands down, Nintendo products were the most impossible to get last holiday season, and supplies of these sought-after systems continue to be short. But, this isn't an argument about why the DS and GBA have sold so well. The Wii has come from behind and clearly won the race.

More from OCModShop
Old May 30, 2007, 11:44 AM
Top Prospect

I'm not sure I'd consider there to be a console war as well, but many people who thoroughly enjoy their Xbox or PS3 will not enjoy the Wii, myself included. There is a reason why the Wii sells so well. It's cheap, and uses "cool" motion control. If the Wii didn't have that motion control, I'd be hard pressed to see it sell at all, considering it's simply an upgraded GameCube.

At least my other consoles don't look like ass on my HDTV. Even 480p is ugly.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old May 30, 2007, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Wii, Xbox 360 and a pc for gaming. I had to camp to get the Wii but just walked in to get the 360. The PS 3 is still sitting on the store shelf from launch where I live. I like the Wii occasionally but my PC I play the most. Second would be 360. The Wii is a good system but most games just have Gamecube graphics. The Wii is a lot of fun with friends though. Also I know my grammar sucks.
Old May 30, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, price is quite important in this case.
Sony used to be in the "game" with good offerings at a decent price point. Now, both Microsoft and Sony jacked up the price quite a bit...
It won't bother the "enthusiasts", but the mainstream market will in turn go for the cheapest...

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old May 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
Allstar

The Wii is tons of fun when you've got a bunch of friends around, especially if you're hammered in a spacious room in front of a big TV ... Just make sure everyone is wearing their wrist-straps properly :P

The 360 and PS3 are both good systems as well, but cater to different crowds, IMO. The 360 has XBOX Live, which is great for interacting with people over the internet, although it can get annoying when you're destroying some 14-year-old kid @ Gears of War and, despite him getting his butt kicked, he never stops talking trash. The PS3 definitely has the best graphics and hardware of the bunch, but is still in need of a "must-have" title like GT5.

Last edited by Jmac; May 30, 2007 at 08:52 PM.