Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2007, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Firefox Bloated?

Ate a few too many chickens-

When Firefox launched in beta release five years ago, it burst on the open-source browser scene like a young Elvis Presley -- slim, sexy and dangerous.
Since then it has attracted millions of users, generally set the agenda for browser development and unseated Microsoft's Internet Explorer as the de facto monopoly in the field. But, with Firefox 3.0 poised for release later this year, the "IE killer" is in danger of morphing into an early Fat Elvis, if increasing numbers of die-hard fans turned reluctant critics are any guide.
Anecdotal reports of problems, from sluggishness to slow page loads and frequent crashes, have begun circulating in web forums, along with increasingly loud calls for Firefox to return to its roots. The alleged culprit: bloat, the same problem that once plagued Mozilla, the slow, overstuffed open-source browser spawned by Netscape that Firefox was originally meant to replace.

More from Wired
Old May 18, 2007, 12:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I used FF for 3 years and recently returned to IE simply because of the difficulties I was beginning to experience with FF
Over that 3 year period I watched it turn from a very quick simple to use tabbed browser into a slow glitchy hanging monstrosity
If they return to the sleek design I may again become a user but for now I use what works
Old May 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- I switched back to ie too- but now ie is crashing fairly frequently for me- not sure what's doing it- could be my connection accelerator, having too many tabs open, or some glitch with one of the (ahem) tech sites I frequent.