Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Core i7 - 3GB vs. 6GB?

Gaming Performance Analysis (Corsair Whitepaper)

While the source obviously has a certain bias, still an interesting read for anyone looking to pick up an i7 system. Apparently, there are some potential gaming benefits to be had from using 6GB over 3, which are going to be the main choices.

Personally, I have to wonder whether the differences would be nearly as pronounced when comparing 4GB to 6GB, or with a single-GPU system, but it's still an interesting article.
Old November 18, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Personally without seeing any numbers I can see no reason to get 3gigs with i7, I can see that the i7 will benefit in leaps and bounds with the additional ram and as newer programs are released they will take advantage of it.

Now from 4-6 I think you will see some performance gains, but mostly from the triple channel.
Old November 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What about 6 gigs in 3 sticks versus 6 sticks?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 18, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally if you have the money to buy a i7 setup you have the money to buy 6gigs of ram. Good 3x1 gigs of DDR3 is as low as 100 so I am sure you can spend another 100 bucks for more performance.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."